Carry a First Aid Kit.. And check its contents...

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
David Baker

Carry a First Aid Kit.. And check its contents...

Postby David Baker » November 2nd, 2017, 7:47 pm

There was a "fingers in the Prop" incident at the field this week that required hospital treatment.... :o
Petrol engines and Big props can inflict serious injuries..
It really is worth reminding ALL of us... Myself included!
Make sure YOU have a decent First Aid box in your car... Don't rely on "other club members" having one with them! (Nobody did!)
A first aid box with bandages, sterile pads, etc can be purchased for less than £10... And check it occasionally to make sure its contents are still fit for purpose..

That is all
David
No it wasn't me!

Bob Thompson1894

Re: Carry a First Aid Kit.. And check its contents...

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 3rd, 2017, 8:15 am

We keep one in the club pegboard box and another in the toilet. If you have nowhere to store one then everyone should keep one in their car. Its worth printing out the postcode and co-ordinates of your field in case you need ambulance or air ambulance, and directions and postcode of the nearest A&E.

chris-berry

Postby chris-berry » November 3rd, 2017, 6:06 pm

Good advice!

We have a kit in the pits plus one in our clubhouse and I have one in my flightbox and in the van. Failing all of that a roll of masking tape and some bandage will suffice in the short term, with most of the injuries likely to be cuts.

David Berry

Postby David Berry » November 3rd, 2017, 10:26 pm

One thing to be aware of is that as winter approaches our fingers get cold.
We had an instance some years ago when it took a stupidly long time to open the sterile dressings because our fingers were numb. Fortunately there were enough people present to enable pressure to be kept on the wound while the Chuckle Brothers played with the wrappings! :D

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 4th, 2017, 8:52 am

And of course please dont fly alone. We had one guy who cut himself and fainted. If a passer by had not spotted him he could have bled out.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » November 4th, 2017, 10:27 am

We had the same, guy on his own, passer by etc, took a full team turnout to rescue him, his dog, and his gear, not to be recommended at all

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 4th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Most injuries ARE cuts, but for those who still use glow, have bottled water handy. Glow fuel can destroy eyeballs!

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » November 5th, 2017, 4:44 pm

On the lighter side...we had a chopped finger incident on our flying site which was quite serious and the victim had to be taken to hospital for stitches etc. He actually returned to our field within a couple of hours with a bandaged hand and one of our flyers said to him " hey, good to see you back so soon, give me a 'high five'....... oh!, make that a four and a half"
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

David Jones

Postby David Jones » November 6th, 2017, 10:24 am

A bit more lighter, but true. Many years ago the same thing happened to a mate, a very nasty cut finger, and a passing "first aid hopeful" said "I hope your going to go to the hospital with that". Quick as a flash my mate retorted "Well, it's not going to get there on it's own is it!!"

Return to “General Discussion Topics”