Sky-120 by Tony Nijhuis

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Geoff McVey

Sky-120 by Tony Nijhuis

Postby Geoff McVey » June 29th, 2018, 12:31 pm

I'm new to large model flying, I have not flown for a number of years and like the idea of large model flying, I see that Sky-120 designed by Tony Nijihuis will be the ideal large model trainer, I will be starting from scratch again as far as building anything so will need to get/make a building board and buy tools/glues/expoxy etc, with the Sky-120 is the ideal engine a Zenoah 38 cc, what transmitter would you suggest to buy for a first large model, would you suggest to start a building thread so that I can show the building process and ask questions/advice at the same time.

I also see that there are a number of video tutorials by Gudjon Olafsson from Iceland building the Sky-120 looks like these will be very useful for someone like myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBRQTZ2 ... SI9U_Jw_eD

Thank you

Geoff
Last edited by Geoff McVey on June 30th, 2018, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Thompson1894

Re: Sky-120 by Tony Nijihuis

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » June 30th, 2018, 8:00 am

Which transmitter opens a can of worms...I would say all are pretty reliable these days, just look at what others at your flying site (join a club if you have not already) and follow the majority, which probably means Spektrum, or less likely, Futaba. This means your questions about programming will be easily answered. Buy a Z38 second hand from someone who can show you it running, no need to buy new, those things are bullet proof and very long lived. Building board from 20mm MDF with a sheet of half inch plasterboard on it is ideal. As for glues, I can heartily recommend the aliphatic from Gorilla (NOT the polyurethane) and half hour epoxy. And I'm sure a build thread will be well received.

Geoff McVey

Re: Sky-120 by Tony Nijhuis

Postby Geoff McVey » June 30th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Bob,

Will of course take on your advice, have already ordered Allphatic and other products to complete the build process on this model, not joined a flying club yet but know that I need to and of course renew my BMFA emebership as well, would this also be a good idea at this early stage to Join the LMA or leave this for the time being. When the time comes to finishing the building of the Sky-120 could I bring this to a LMA flying site for someone to test fly and make sure that the model is set up correctly, and when the time is right to take the LMA proficency test.

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » June 30th, 2018, 8:51 pm

I vote for Spektrum radio, I took a 30 something year break and everything had changed ! Back then servos came 2 flavours, for any given stick movement there were clockwise an anticlockwise ones, if something moved the wrong way then you swapped the servo for the other type. These days they all move the same way and you go into a menu on the Tx and change the direction there, sometimes you can use a Y lead and sometimes you have to use an extra channel on the Rx. The Sky 120 looks like it will need 6 servos so I suggest at least an 8 channel set to give some room for extra stuff on future models.

It is a common sight to see a gathering around certain radios with everyone trying to work out how to change a setting, on Spektrum things are straightforward :)

As for LMA membership, look at the benefits, low cost, discount to shows, free journal, free food at the AGM, fly ins, members with a wealth of information, etc :)

Steve Mansell

Postby Steve Mansell » June 30th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Geoff,
I use a Futaba 9c. Some models will have 1 (or more) servos on each control surface, and when you start using the radio to set up things like aileron differential etc., the flexibility of more channels is a useful tool.

My building board is 20mm mdf covered in 2 layers of cork tiles.

I'm not far from Bromley, Kent, so if you're near you are more than welcome to pop over to see the few tools I use 99% of the time and the many tools I use 1%!

Cheers
Steve

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 1st, 2018, 7:09 am

Hi Geoff, It is always worth joining the LMA as said by Steve. There are a number of Sky-120 builds around the forums I have one on here that I did many years ago now, some pictures are missing due to the transfer over to our present website.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=934&hilit=sky+120

I used the standard Spectrum radio set and the servos that came with it and I have never had any issues with it, its still the same setup and is still flying today.

Dp-nw-21052017_21.jpg
Dp-nw-21052017_21.jpg (21.29 KiB) Viewed 9404 times

chris-berry

Postby chris-berry » July 1st, 2018, 7:28 am

If you haven’t already, the very first thing I would do is to join a club.
By doing this, you’ll have hands on and face to face contact with instructors and those experienced in building.

What part of the world are you in Geoff?

Geoff McVey

Postby Geoff McVey » July 1st, 2018, 1:07 pm

Steve P,

I will look at the various transmitter options near the time of buying and take onboard your comments and will go for as you have suggested at least 8 channels.

Just completed my LMA membership, just waiting this to be approved.

Geoff McVey

Postby Geoff McVey » July 1st, 2018, 1:22 pm

Steve M,

I have been to B&Q this morning and bought a plain door, this is 78" x 24" and is 1 1/2 thick for £24, bargin, I have also bought an 8ft x 4ft Sundeala board for 50p reduced, bargin, will glue the Sundeala to the door using No Nails Glue, this has worked for me before, the size of the building board I think is more than big enough for now. Sundeala I find is perfect for various size pins when building.

I'm a little too far away from Kent ottherwise I would have been able to pop over, but interested in what tools that you do use though.

Cheers
Geoff

Geoff McVey

Postby Geoff McVey » July 1st, 2018, 1:25 pm

Hi Dave,

Just joined the LMA, just waiting for this to be approved, will check out the link you have posted of the Sky-120 build.

I have also found a YouTube channel by Gudjon Olafsson from Iceland building the Sky-120 looks like these will be very useful.

Geoff McVey

Postby Geoff McVey » July 1st, 2018, 1:28 pm

Chris,

I know that I need to join a club, just looking at the moment, and will join near to the time I have something to fly.

I'm currently in Lincolnshire

chris-berry

Postby chris-berry » July 1st, 2018, 5:32 pm

Geoff McVey wrote:Chris,

I know that I need to join a club, just looking at the moment, and will join near to the time I have something to fly.

I'm currently in Lincolnshire

Hi Geoff, I’d join sooner rather than later, as many clubs have club trainers that you can start learning to fly on and people to advise you as to the kinds of items to buy rather than you buying items that may not be compatible with, for example your club instructors radio equipment.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 1st, 2018, 5:51 pm

Geoff- told you it was a can of worms! For your information there are around 80 BMFA clubs in Lincolnshire, which town are you?

Geoff McVey

Postby Geoff McVey » July 1st, 2018, 6:51 pm

chris-berry wrote:Hi Geoff, I’d join sooner rather than later, as many clubs have club trainers that you can start learning to fly on and people to advise you as to the kinds of items to buy rather than you buying items that may not be compatible with, for example your club instructors radio equipment.

I do hold a BMFA A Certificate, but not sure where it is, will I need to re take this test at any point, but guessing it will be like starting again.

PM sent.

Geoff McVey

Postby Geoff McVey » July 1st, 2018, 7:00 pm

Dave Parry wrote:https://forum.largemodelassociation.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=934&hilit=sky+120[/attachment]

Hi Dave,

When I click on this Sky-120 build thread, looks like the photos are no longer available, but can still read the various posts.

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 1st, 2018, 7:18 pm

Yes a chunk of pictures have been lost when moved over to the new website data transfer didn't go as smooth as we thought. Not a lot we can do now. hope it is of some use to you.

Geoff McVey

Postby Geoff McVey » July 1st, 2018, 9:56 pm

Dave Parry wrote:Yes a chunk of pictures have been lost when moved over to the new website data transfer didn't go as smooth as we thought. Not a lot we can do now. hope it is of some use to you.

Dave,
Even though that the photo's are no longer aavailable because of the website data transfer, the posts on the thread will still be helpful.

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 2nd, 2018, 5:14 am

I hope so, welcome to the LMA by the way.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 2nd, 2018, 7:01 am

Geoff- I have replied to your PM, but it is sitting in my outbox and I cant see a way to send it! But basically, - Nearest I can find to you is Hibalstow. 01652 657229
http://www.hibaldstowmodelflyingclub.com
Hibaldstow Airfield contact john cross e mail johnrolyc@btinternet.com
As long as you have your BMFA number your A certificate is safe. Other clubs are ; Scampton, Bardney, and Ravens Model Aviators at Binbrook.

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 2nd, 2018, 7:13 am

Hi Bob, it sits in your outbox until it is picked up by the person you have sent it to, its your indicator that they have read it or not as the case is at the moment.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”