Latest Journal

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Bob Thompson1894

Re: Latest Journal

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 19th, 2018, 6:48 am

Dave Parry wrote:I can well imagine there are going to be some against a name change, it is expected, but I have to agree LMA or Large Model Association does bring up something we are definitely not. Its just not clear enough for anyone who doesn't know who we are.

Bob we didn't add the O you did, I am well aware what it means, so please come up with a better name instead of taking the (P) and I am sure you will understand what that means.

I dont think a name change is imperative, we have had the same name since the early 90s? Since those days we have fended off the nudge nudge comments, and are used to it. But if a change it must be, then Dave Hayfields suggestion is by far the best option. Airfix Association? Is that actually a thing? :lol:

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 19th, 2018, 7:46 am

Nigel Cox wrote:Friend of mine Dean made this ?
LMFA Logo.jpeg

I like that. Our idea is not to change the LMA logo plane, as it is neutral one, it just seems right. but the rest of it is great, Nigel could I be cheeky and as you to as him to change the plane and do it in a couple of different coloured backgrounds. I know the colour will be another continues issue but we might as well get the debate going with a bang. It just might stair enough up to have a heathy debate. At the moment no one seems to be bothered.

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 19th, 2018, 7:55 am

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:
Dave Parry wrote:I can well imagine there are going to be some against a name change, it is expected, but I have to agree LMA or Large Model Association does bring up something we are definitely not. Its just not clear enough for anyone who doesn't know who we are.

Bob we didn't add the O you did, I am well aware what it means, so please come up with a better name instead of taking the (P) and I am sure you will understand what that means.

I dont think a name change is imperative, we have had the same name since the early 90s? Since those days we have fended off the nudge nudge comments, and are used to it. But if a change it must be, then Dave Hayfields suggestion is by far the best option. Airfix Association? Is that actually a thing? :lol:

Bob, thanks for you input, this is the whole idea in the first place to get members to say what they think. I have to say I am disappointed at the response, with over a thousand member we have less than 20 who has said anything. Its no good waiting until the AGM it need to be debated first, the logo will change that is for sure, the current one has seen it day as to what the name of the association is called is what is up for debate as is the colour scheme.

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » July 19th, 2018, 8:21 am

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:

I don't think a name change is imperative, we have had the same name since the early 90s? Since those days we have fended off the nudge nudge comments, and are used to it. But if a change it must be, then Dave Hayfields suggestion is by far the best option. Airfix Association? Is that actually a thing? :lol:

Bob, et all
The association was formed in 1982 with the name Large Model Association, it was one of the big discussion points at the original meeting to find a name that represented what we were without being too long winded. With the current trend / fashion to abbreviate everything making the name longer is going the wrong way.

We are all being asked to consider a new name but no one has explained why this is considered necessary now. The argument put forward about people not knowing who or what we are is not very relevant especially if the association is only known by its initials (which is the modern way). The LMA is known worldwide for its excellence in the field of large models and I see no reason to change the name and lose the history, just on a whim.

John

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 19th, 2018, 8:28 am

I stand corrected, John. I joined late 90s but remember the (sometimes contentious) meetings at Goosedale early 90s.

David Jones

Postby David Jones » July 19th, 2018, 8:30 am

I agree with John, my old maxim is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Jonesey.

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 19th, 2018, 10:20 am

At last, we seem to be getting somewhere, everybody's opinion counts, Changing the name is not on a whim, it is seen as updating an association that seem to be stuck in the past. We are an aging association and need to reinvent ourselves, we can't just stay as we are. To appeal to a wider audience we need to stand out a name change is only one suggestion we are rebrand our image, we are not bothered if the name stay's the same we are looking for your input. We need to see how the membership feel and we will react on the out come.

So, send me an email with your thoughts and I will pass them on to the committee.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 19th, 2018, 11:02 am

I will. And agree a little that an update would be good- The Society of Model Aircraft Engineers did the right thing by changing!
Just as a thought, how about LMAUK...

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 19th, 2018, 11:03 am

Yes another good one Bob, thanks.

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » July 19th, 2018, 12:01 pm

LFMA ?

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 19th, 2018, 12:07 pm

What do

LMAUK

And

LFMA

stand for?
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 19th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Why are we looking at changing the name / logo?

We need to keep thinking why are we doing it (whatever it is!), what's it all for and what should we be doing?

Because something is the way it is, and that's how things have always been done don't necessarily make things right or wrong, but it's worth a bit of time thinking about what it is we do. What are the overall aims of the LMA are and are the Aims of the LMA still what they were when the LMA were formed? To support the aims, do we need to change anything to reflect what the aims of the LMA are today and wants to be in the future?

We're certainly not looking to do a Consignia, and re-brand as a tax dodge or for for something to do, but are asking the question of the membership, should we change to improve the wider perception of what it is we do?

The PFA ans the SMAE had their names for a long time before they changed to the LAA and the BMFA to better reflect what they were about and for, so it's worth us all considering the question.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 19th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Rob Buckley wrote:What do

LMAUK

And

LFMA

stand for?

LMAuk is just as you would think- Large Model Association United Kingdom LMA(uk)
I should imagine LFMA is Large Flying Model Association?

barrie burton

Postby barrie burton » July 19th, 2018, 2:45 pm

I agree with John Greenfield,I should,we joined the association together,ie at the start.Proir to the LMA it was called The Large Scale Model Association.This was changed because not all models were ,or needed to be scale.I think that the biggest handicap to our growth is the view taken by the average club flier,ie we are all super rich,and are super skilled pilots.You only have to go to Cosford,Gaydon or visit our web site to understand their feelings.I tell them that maybe 50 or 60 out of a membership of 1000 plus fly what I would call mega models.

David Baker

Postby David Baker » July 19th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Well I just googled “large model” without any other words..
The first 7 listings were all to do with us.. the LMA
The 8th was something to do with large model trucks
Then the next 2 listings were us again!

No listings for large ladies were found

I agree with John Greenfield... we are so well established and well known. Why change it?
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 19th, 2018, 6:42 pm

but if you google 'large models', I went on the internet and I found this...
Attachments
largeModels.JPG
largeModels.JPG (307.18 KiB) Viewed 9015 times

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 19th, 2018, 6:44 pm

or google 'large model' and press images...
Attachments
LargeModel.JPG
LargeModel.JPG (326.48 KiB) Viewed 9015 times

chris-berry

Postby chris-berry » July 19th, 2018, 6:44 pm

I’m in favour of a change to Large Model Flying Association. It best describes the association.

The one thing that is noticeable about many of the LMA members is that they are builders not just cheque book flyers. Many build their own models and use traditional techniques, saucepans for cowls etc etc. There is obviously cost in engines and electronics but the traditional techniques are used.

This is true for many models but at other, non LMA shows you see the fancy jets and aerobatic models built using a cheque book or credit card and that’s one of the differences I notice about the LMA and many of its members.

David Baker

Postby David Baker » July 20th, 2018, 5:04 am

Rob
Your google image search throws a different light on the subject...

LMFA gets my vote over LMAA

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 20th, 2018, 7:37 am

Rob Buckley wrote:or google 'large model' and press images...
did you get some contact numbers Rob? 8-)

Return to “General Discussion Topics”