Latest Journal

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Dave Parry
Site Admin

Re: Latest Journal

Postby Dave Parry » July 20th, 2018, 8:58 am

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:
Rob Buckley wrote:or google 'large model' and press images...
did you get some contact numbers Rob? 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

David Jones

Postby David Jones » July 20th, 2018, 9:02 am

Rob, I think you need to clear your browsing history. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 20th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Well I do after looking up large models for you lot!
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Mike Ellis

Postby Mike Ellis » July 20th, 2018, 9:14 pm

I joined the LMA in 1987 and I do agree with some people on here who say don’t fix which isn’t broke !!
But the suggestion by some who have said about changing the name to Large Model Flying Association ( LMFA) I feel IS a worthwhile change which really buttonholes our great organisation perhaps more fully than just Large Model Association, and of course,the fact that googling Large Models, sometimetimes gets confused with Large Ladies due to our current name,it can be off putting for some!!
Personally I have never seen a FLYING Large lady as yet ( except when my wife fell off the top of the wardrobe one night !!)
So my vote is for LMFA.

Mike Ellis. LMA 652

david walker

Postby david walker » July 20th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Just been reading through all of the comments on the Re-branding and as I may be the happy chappie who needs to talk our audiences through this next season thought that I should do a bit of researching. Now found that this is not as simple as it first sounds. So firstly LMFA. saw I think it was Bob brought this up first that its test speak for a rather vulgar term in text speak for laughter and something involving other terms for bottoms. But it also brings you to a US site for financial matters and stocks and shares. So then looked at LMAA. gues what this brings you straight to the the "london Maritime arbitors association.
To me the simplest solution would be to stay with the nice and simple LMA we have now and go with the logo shown earlier .
Maybe a new name is needed but with so much out there on the Net its will be difficult to find some abbreviation not already in use.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 21st, 2018, 6:40 am

I don't think we should get too hung up on sharing an acronym with completely unrelated bodies...we do already as you can see below, and we don't even make top of the list today!

LMAAcronym.JPG
LMAAcronym.JPG (232.32 KiB) Viewed 8760 times

LMFA only gets slightly rude if you stick an 'O' on the end (when it's not LMFA any more)

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 21st, 2018, 7:16 am

Rob Buckley wrote:I don't think we should get too hung up on sharing an acronym with completely unrelated bodies...we do already as you can see below, and we don't even make top of the list today!

LMAAcronym.JPG

LMFA only gets slightly rude if you stick an 'O' on the end (when it's not LMFA any more)
-and thats never going to happen. No. Not at all..... :lol:

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 21st, 2018, 7:38 am

But then again, as this is all supposed to be about building and flying stuff for fun, if the sentiment of 'LMFAO' isn't felt sometimes while partaking (no matter what you think of the words used), what's the point?

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 21st, 2018, 10:23 am

Do you mind. No brevity allowed here. Serious stuff, toy planes.

Nigel Cox

Postby Nigel Cox » July 21st, 2018, 7:32 pm

How does LMAFA sit as in (Large Model Aircraft Flying Association) ?? seems to be the exact description of what is involved and doesn't appear to bring up any negative/saucy things in a Google search ??

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 21st, 2018, 9:06 pm

Can I do levity with brevity?

Dave Lowe

Postby Dave Lowe » July 21st, 2018, 9:58 pm

Must agree with John Greenfield & Dave Walker I don't see the sense or the necessity to change just for the sake of it,
Anyone who ends up on one of these other sites can use common sense to realise that's not us. We are well known and respected throughout the world as LARGE MODEL ASSOCIATION, ie. L.M.A. lets not jeopardise this just on a whim.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 22nd, 2018, 7:37 am

Rob Buckley wrote:Can I do levity with brevity?
ouch.....Im not getting any younger you know!

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » July 22nd, 2018, 7:51 am

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT. Just like changing your own name/phone number and having to let everyone know.
Tony.

Bob Johnstone

Postby Bob Johnstone » July 22nd, 2018, 10:40 am

A very nice edition of the Journal. I agree LMAA is suitable and also like the logo from Nigel Cox.

Nigel Cox

Postby Nigel Cox » July 22nd, 2018, 7:36 pm

I'm only a guy that sits the other side of the barriers to watch you guys perform, I asked a friend for a new version of the logo, and he's still tweeking it with a few suggestions from Rob, So if there is a name/acronym that is suitable I'll see what my friend can come up with ??

stewart clifford

Postby stewart clifford » July 23rd, 2018, 7:51 am

I agree with John G, I see no point in wasting any time on this, leave it as it is. If a google search brings up a chubby girl in a bra so what, people will just adjust their search to get to what they’re looking for. Personally I think this Is diverting energy from more pressing matters.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 23rd, 2018, 10:56 am

Like what Stewart?

stewart clifford

Postby stewart clifford » July 23rd, 2018, 12:09 pm

The next generation should really be a focus of resources. There’s plenty of young people flying models and I’m sure some would(with encouragement) learn to build and build big one offs. The LMA is very much an ageing association (don’t take that the wrong way), what’s the average age of the guys on the flightline? I’d guess it’s around 60?? Myself, TJD and Andy Wynn are probably the ones bringing that average down and if it wasn’t for Adam Johnson and Deano the average age would probably be higher. So call it what you will but in ten years time where will the association be?
I don’t want anyone to take offence to my comments, I’m just thinking our efforts should take into account a very real fact.

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 23rd, 2018, 1:42 pm

Image is also a big part of the next generation, The LMA image is old like most of its members, (take that any way you like) sticking with the (if it ant broke don't fix mentality) is the wrong attitude, you of all people should know that.

The association need a fresh young look, If the majority vote for the name stays as LMA so be it. But we are at least trying to change the way we look and are perceived I don't count that as being a waste of time.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”