Latest Journal

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
stewart clifford

Re: Latest Journal

Postby stewart clifford » July 23rd, 2018, 3:12 pm

I agree about the “if it ain’t broke” comment Dave as you’ll never progress anything with that attitude. but adding one word to the name won’t go far in encouraging new blood. If it changes it changes, it doesn’t make the slightest difference to me, my point is the focus should be on the future and ensuring we all up our game as the game changes, if we fail to do that then it doesn’t matter what you call it as they’ll be no one to carry it on.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 23rd, 2018, 3:36 pm

So what are you proposing we do?
Big toy Aeroplanes are expensive no matter which way you look at it and take a lot of space to store and transport.

Along with making sure we can legally carry on doing what we do, we need people to carry on doing it I agree. Is the image of the lma today attractive to young (and I mean anybody under 50 as young) folk?

One of the important things I (and now James) do is to reduce the average age of the committee by a decade or two, does that mean we can still call ourselves young? If all goes well I'll be able to retire in 25 years or so!
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » July 23rd, 2018, 5:52 pm

I'm not sure that changing the name will do much to promote the LMA. If you have to change I prefer LMAA over LMFA as we are surely more than just a flying organisation, plus LMFA has more scope to be 'mis-interpreted'.

Personally, I see no need to change. The LMA is a well established group and doesn't need to be spinning its image to be any different than it is now.

John Evans

Postby John Evans » July 23rd, 2018, 7:08 pm

Who came up with idea to change name / logo

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 23rd, 2018, 8:06 pm

Th' Committeee

Glenn Masters

Postby Glenn Masters » July 23rd, 2018, 10:25 pm

Speaking as a large model !! . . I have always felt the need to change my attire before calling in the pub on the way home from a days flying !! Were we to change the corporate livery, may I suggest we keep the LMA logo that we have become familiar with, but how about dropping the full worded title of Large Model Association from our various bits of kit etc ?
I would however, welcome a new name / logo which better describes our hobby and which encompasses more of the skills and engineering talents that we learn and use in our hobby. We should use this possible change to better inform others of just what we do. A new name should maybe include words such as *aeronautical* and *engineering* etc etc.
Our model flying friends on the continent enjoy a public awareness of the many skills and talents required for our hobby, and this is something we could strive towards also . . .

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 24th, 2018, 6:48 am

Got it Glenn.....The Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers...lol
I agree, just LMA is good enough, or, as I suggested, LMA(uk)

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 24th, 2018, 3:30 pm

United Kingdom and dominions society of large aeronautical engineering models and flying thereof

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 25th, 2018, 6:43 am

UKADSOLAEMAFT..just rolls off the tongue...

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 25th, 2018, 10:58 am

And that's after I shortened it from

Her royal Britanic majesty's United Kingdom of Great Britain and dominions society of large aeronautical engineering models and design, build, maintenance, repair and flying thereof

As that seemed a bit wordy

barrie burton

Postby barrie burton » July 25th, 2018, 1:13 pm

I think that lack of younger members is not restricted to the LMA alone,I suspect that the average age in most clubs,is 60 to 70 years.I still think that our organisation is perceived as ,elite,wealthy and skilled.It is a bit like a learner driver wanting to join the F1 circuit.On a lighter note,at an early AGM,one of our members said from the floor ' I cannot be on the committee as I do not have a double barrelled name.On the committee at the time we had, Adrian Rowe Evans,Basil Lockwood Goose and Joan Lockwood Goose. My, have the standards droped.

Glenn Masters

Postby Glenn Masters » July 25th, 2018, 2:05 pm

They certainly have droped !! lol

paul hughes

Postby paul hughes » July 25th, 2018, 4:14 pm

It looks like Barry couldn't manage two p's, hang on for half an hour and he'll have another. :oops:
Last edited by paul hughes on July 26th, 2018, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 25th, 2018, 6:28 pm

At least we're not being accused of having drooped!

Jack Kennedy

Postby Jack Kennedy » July 27th, 2018, 4:05 pm

With regard to this renaming thing, I'm of the opinion if somthing is not broken don't fix it, but if the powers that be think this is the way to go, who am I to say.

The membership of the " LMA " I am led to beleive covers a large area, The United Kingdom Or British Isles, what ever you want to call it, and correct me if I'm wrong, even further.

With this in mind, I could be wrong here, so if I am I apoligise, 100% of "LMA" shows, 100% of "LMA" flying/testing sites are South of one border and East of another.

This being the case, if going down the renaming route, may I suggest the " ELMA" or "ELMFA" whichever you prefer.

JUST A THOUGHT....!!
The only way is up

arthur barlow

Postby arthur barlow » July 27th, 2018, 4:30 pm

just a quick question Jack is the E4 England or Europe

arthur barlow

Postby arthur barlow » July 27th, 2018, 7:27 pm

just another quick though should it be nwlma or wlma :lol: 8-)

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » July 28th, 2018, 7:32 am

BLMFA. British large model flying association, we could even have differant areas, with their own commitees, that reported back to a central hub, naw, never work, :evil:

But seriously, to get the fact across models are built, and engineering is included, and the models are large, makes some pretty complex lettering, LMA, or LMAA is easy on the tongue, and is instantly recognisable, you can get anything you want by including the word model in a google search, you just have to filter out the dross, it isn’t rocket science! :D
Last edited by Alan Cantwell 1131 on July 28th, 2018, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » July 28th, 2018, 7:40 am

Lmcfa large model constructors and flyers association, not exactly roll off the tongue :)

Blmcfa British large model constructors and flyers association, says what we do, but too long winded, :roll:

Lama, Large aircraft model association, easily remembered, says what we do, 8-)

LMA is short and sweet, it’s known, and it doesn’t matter if your 16 or 86, it’s known for its work, the term is not age relevant, and is one that needs keeping, update the logo, but due to it hitting the proverbial nail on the head, leave the name alone, :idea: :idea: :idea:

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 28th, 2018, 8:49 am

Simply stop calling it the Large Model Association, and say LMA, as we all do. Nobody calls the BMFA by its full name! As Glenn said, just by using the acronym on clothing etc it solves any other innuendo.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”