Your most valuable extemporised tool?

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Timothy Huff

Your most valuable extemporised tool?

Postby Timothy Huff » October 19th, 2018, 1:39 pm

In the course of building my turrets, chiefly built with tiny machine-screws and washers/nuts, I "devised" a little tool, simply a toothpick with a pea-sized ball of "blutak" on one end, usually rolled into a thin tube about 3mm in diameter. This doesn't really require a picture, but it has been hugely useful for picking up tiny screws, depositing the threaded end into a hole with accuracy, or picking-up and positioning washers, before balancing a nut on the end of the thread prior to "teasing" the nut onto the first few threads, afterwhich I use a regular nut-spinner - if there's room to do so. The Blutak provides just enough "stickiness" to pick up tiny screws etc, but not so much that it won't readily relinquish its hold when you want to leave the screw sitting in the hole.

It occurs to me there must be dozens of useful little home-made tools for similar jobs out there, and it might be really interesting to see pictures/read explanations or have links to videos of other widgets and tools used during construction of our models?

Bob Thompson1894

Re: Your most valuable extemporised tool?

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » October 19th, 2018, 2:08 pm

I often use a spot of cyano to hold a tiny screw on a driver- as soon as it tightens up, the glue joint breaks.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”