Show helpers and pilots

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Rob Buckley

Re: Show helpers and pilots

Postby Rob Buckley » December 28th, 2018, 9:54 pm

There generally are some in the area, but can't be guaranteed or made a requirement to have them there.

The 20 Dawn Patrol helpers should each be with their pilot doing their helper job (extra eyes and ears of the pilot), not reading the paper in the pits until it's time to collect the model and hand out tea & medals.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » December 28th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:Yes, agree Rob. My point is simply that a helper is not just there because the rules say so, they have a job to do and should be briefed on what that job is. In Peters case above, I presume that while teaching his good lady to fly, she will then be conversant with the duties of a helper. I wish some others would take notice!

She’s always been at my side. She was there at the proficiency test. She takes her job very seriously. My safety is her main worry...

However, the helper, wether it be good mates, married, couples, parent and child....if a collapse of the pilot did occur and the helper had to take control, what state of mind would they be in ? Surely , their mind would be on the collapsed pilot and the enormity of that situation rather than where the plane was.....scary or am I over thinking too much into this??
Fly ‘til I die...

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » December 29th, 2018, 7:03 am

Yes, don't overthink it. The logical conclusion of that train of thought is to make sure your helper hates you and is just itching to get the chance to 'land' your model for you!
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » December 29th, 2018, 8:22 am

Jo and I were having a general chitchat about it....it did come up. Anyway, she is now an LMA member.
Fly ‘til I die...

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » December 29th, 2018, 9:14 am

Rob Buckley wrote:There generally are some in the area, but can't be guaranteed or made a requirement to have them there.

The 20 Dawn Patrol helpers should each be with their pilot doing their helper job (extra eyes and ears of the pilot), not reading the paper in the pits until it's time to collect the model and hand out tea & medals.
Ha ha! :lol: :lol: :lol:
As far as the mode 1 and 2 thing is, I often help Glenn with his Harvard and other models. He is mode 1, I am mode 2. I am certain that I could put the model down safely in case of an emergency. I should imagine most of us would be ok doing that. A good landing it would not be...

Andrew Hindle

Postby Andrew Hindle » December 29th, 2018, 10:29 am

It appears that some people dont understand the role of the helper, its not just about a helper being ready to grab the tx. frightening thoughts of any suggestions that helpers retreat to the pits area until retrieval time whilst 20 aircraft are in the air! :shock: :shock: The role of helper is far more diverse and should be understood as covered in previous posts. Any pilot who has taken time to read the Handbook "helpers role" and correctly past the LMA proficency should be aware of what is required.

As Rob Buckley previously states,
Yes, the job of the helper is to be additional eyes & ears for the pilot, t'was ever thus.
should be competent enough to be able to steer a model to safe crash site in case of pilot incapacitation.

SIMPLES

Regards
Andy Hindle

Paul Savage 1568

Postby Paul Savage 1568 » December 29th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Like your thinking Steve but better still, why not attempt to encourage all pilots to try to remain close to to the flight line when not performing and we all try to make ourselves constantly available to act as a helper to any pilot therein looking for said helper. Maybe some seats and a small pop up gazebo placed closer to the pilots box would encourage pilots to grab a cuppa and sit closer to where they're needed rather than drift off and disappear until they are next on and also probably looking for a helper. A number of times I've found myself desperate to find a helper ( and I hate asking ) and that's when there was plenty of familiar Catton faces around and if all else failed..the missus. Not quite the same nowa days.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » December 30th, 2018, 8:50 am

With a team, it can be a difficult problem to get enough helpers. Its something you have to look at in advance and ask people if they would help. Its a nice way to get to know each other, too.

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » January 2nd, 2019, 6:56 am

Jo has joined the LMA. I will say what a lovely and personal letter written by Lynne Roberts...thanks for taking the time and the encouragement
Fly ‘til I die...

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » January 2nd, 2019, 8:19 am

Steve Perry wrote:For those with helpers that are not yet pilots, how about having 2 duty pilots ( a mode 1 and a mode 2 ) available at the pilots box ?

Lets say for example there are 20 Dawn Patrol in the air, is it really needed to have the 20 helpers ready to grab the TX rather than retreat to the pits area until retrieval time ?

A very interesting point! The DP utilise "Helpers" as "Spotters" so that we can keep an eye on not only the surrounding conditions but also the flight conditions of other DP aircraft, therefore in the terms of safety one pair ok Mk1's per flying aircraft can concentrate on the particular aircraft they are "Spotting"!
Perhaps others may interpret this differently?
Cary

Return to “General Discussion Topics”