More content at shows

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Bob Thompson1894

Re: More content at shows

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 19th, 2019, 11:03 am

Its too far for whom? Its not if you live there or go there on holiday, like many thousands of us. Having flown a long time ago at Redruth Show I was amazed how well supported it was. I have no idea how it will be these days though. But there are a lot of people there in summer. Do we maybe have too many shows in the Midlands? We flew at Redruth a couple of times and stayed nearby for the rest of the week, flying on their field with their permission and slope soaring. It made a cracking holiday and worth the long travel.

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » January 19th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Fly ‘til I die...

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 19th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Yes, I did see that, didnt reply as it clashes with our own Spring Fly in at Langar. I should have thought a more 'summer' event would suit Cornwall.

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » January 19th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Never mind ...that’s why I was asking now for 2020.
Fly ‘til I die...

James Ladell

Postby James Ladell » January 20th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Hi Pete
We have a committee meeting shortly and this will be looked as well as some other events.
All the best
James

Steve Ogden

Postby Steve Ogden » January 22nd, 2019, 11:23 am

I know that this will be controversial but how about not charging the traders for their plots? The money lost could be recuperated by the extra footfall through the gate. I know that this would probably result in little if any profit, but it could be budgeted to break even. Because lets face it if anymore traders withdraw from the shows then we could be looking at a large loss as the events will become sponsored Fly-ins totally funded by the LMA

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 22nd, 2019, 11:44 am

I tend to agree- but with model trade stands only.

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » January 27th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Thanks for all your comments above---I have just returned from our first committee meeting of 2019 where all the above was discussed----we also have a couple of new faces with ideas joining us---and many new suggestions have been taken on board for this years shows----the first big change confirmed is that there will be two flightlines running at Cosford and Elvington---both strictly controlled and the second line running Aerobatic type aircraft---trainers flights for the newcomers to come and try controlled on a buddy lead---and all the new trader models which you can see flying before you buy on the stalls-----plus the usual foamy slots etc to give what we feel will be a much better selection of models for the punters to see----more details to follow as confirmations arrive

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » January 27th, 2019, 8:51 pm

First announcement I have is I am bringing my swapmeet team from westonpark to Cosford, details to follow,

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » January 28th, 2019, 8:58 am

That sounds fantastic Dave. Could I suggest a letter is prepared and sent to all our traders informing them of all the show
changes that are intended in order to attract extra custom for them rather than letting them find out for next season.

I would think this would need to be done sooner rather than later. Maybe even send them a link to this thread.

Tony.

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » January 28th, 2019, 10:11 am

Tony--thanks for your comments---and its all in hand as I type-----

Jack Kennedy

Postby Jack Kennedy » January 28th, 2019, 3:02 pm

May I make a suggestion, if the lma are trying to reduce cost, do away with the free membership, if a pilot can build a model that could be worth hundreds or thousands surely to god they can afford £20 to £30, as for the helpers, three quarter of them in my opinion are only there for the free camping and admission and are as useful as a chocy fire guard.
My membership fee is donated to charity every year, but due to there being no east kirkby the only two shows I will be attending this year are cosford and elvington, so unless that changes, I will be from the end of this year be paying for my membership.
the help I give to the lma I do because I want to, not because I have to, and not for what I can get for free.
Last edited by Jack Kennedy on January 29th, 2019, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only way is up

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 28th, 2019, 4:02 pm

The free membership is a very nice gesture for flyers who to a show and risk their models. As you say, £20 is not much, but consider the cost involved in going to a show to fly? Last time I went to East Kirkby I had to go each day due to circumstances, and not camp. That resulted in £50 worth of diesel used. Many people spend far more than that. But the 800 or so members who do not go to fly at shows (yet go to fly ins etc) do not have this expense. It sounds fair to me. Plus, I dont believe that cost cutting is the problem here. As for helpers, well it is a necessity at a show.
I agree with the ideas put forward with the proviso that my original thoughts that maybe the LMA should not try to emulate the likes of Weston, but Cosford and Elvington are being drawn inexorably towards that scenario...

David Berry

Postby David Berry » January 28th, 2019, 4:42 pm

My son and I help out when we can at shows, purely because we enjoy putting something back into this great hobby; free membership never entered the equation. Up until last year we , like Bob T., made daily round trips from home.
It never made sense to me to give free membership for flying/helping at shows, I am glad that it has come to an end.
For some of the models flown by members the sub's are less than the cost of one servo!
On the wider issue of two flight lines, better swapmeet etc, I am all in favour.

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » January 28th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Especially considering the new Cosford show format, can we please make sure that the BMFA bring the simulator trailer and can we book BBC Breakfast's Mike Bushell ! A nice slot on Sat morning should work wonders for the numbers attending ! Picture the scene, Dave's Vulcan, Mike asking if he can have a go, we have something more suitable for you, BMFA sim trailer, buddy lead on a sky 120, mike making a pigs ear of it :)

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » January 28th, 2019, 6:28 pm

The BMFA sim trailer has always been a crowd pleaser. We have it at the Steam Fair that our local club does flying displays at.
Fly ‘til I die...

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » January 28th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Yes it is, but there is always the issue of getting it from it's stable for a show and back again :(

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » January 28th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Well, I have to come up from deepest Cornwall...In this regard, Dave Phipps has always been good enough to meet me half way, usually somewhere on the M5 around Gloucester/ Strensham
Fly ‘til I die...

Jack Kennedy

Postby Jack Kennedy » January 29th, 2019, 10:39 am

Hi Bob
I tried to put up a reply to your post but for some reason it did'nt go in.
With regard to the gesture made by the lma for the free membership I'm in total agreement with you, it's a nice thing to give for services rendered.
I mean no disrespect to either pilot or planes when I say, are'nt you risking your model when you build it or take it to be test flown or get it ready for a show, some of the models I have had the privilage to see when in the pit area are stunning pieces of model building, if you spend a long time building the model, getting all the detail right of course you'll be a bit protective of your pride and joy, in fact, I would think some guys are more protective of there plane than they are of themselves.
We are in a hobby where accidents can happen, electrical and mechanical faults can occur, and things break, that is the risk "you", the model builder/flyer take every time you put your pride and joy in the air, if you build a stunning model and you want to fly it and show it off, then the risk is all yours, that's your choice.
The lma are always looking for helpers, in my opinion this is a must, to keep the shows going and running smooth, there are a number of members like myself who are, when ever possible eager to make this happen, without payment may I add, on the other hand there are those that are there for the fringe benefits only, ie. free membership, free camping, and all the grub you can eat, over the year that would mount up.
I'm sorry to rant on about this.
To answer your statement about running cost, last year I did 5 shows and 3 flyins, all south of the border down mexico way, come to think of it, all the shows are south of the border down mexico way, total running costs not including gaydon, over 1k, but for me money dose'nt enter into it, I just enjoy the hobby.
the money recouped from the free memberships could go toward what the discussion is all about new and more content to improve the shows overall.
Last edited by Jack Kennedy on January 29th, 2019, 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The only way is up

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » January 29th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Hear hear Jack - the LMA’s finances are paramount and there never is a shortage of flyers for the shows,in fact the opposite - usually over subscribed.Some years ago the top pilots received expenses,which has now stopped thank goodness - the next step is to see what happens If some of the freebies are done away with,in order to help balance the books.
I don’t fly at the shows now due to an eye disorder ,but do agree with more variety of models being selected for slots as well as the terrific models usually attending.
Well done Alan with the larger swap meet.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”