More content at shows

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
James Ladell

More content at shows

Postby James Ladell » January 15th, 2019, 8:27 pm

As I have had a few calls from members about the shows since my last post in LMA events.
What I am after is ideas for more attractions for the public to look at at the shows. What I would like the membership to do is come up with some ideas and contacts names/ numbers would be extremely helpful to try and get more into the shows.
I Have a few ideas but others are great fully received.
Contact me through the website via the public relations officer
or 07710906985

Peter Smedley

Re: More content at shows

Postby Peter Smedley » January 15th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Model cars ? Hovercraft?
Fly ‘til I die...

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » January 15th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Don’t know if Dave J has mentioned,I’ve got a few ideas,

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » January 16th, 2019, 8:46 am

Classic car and motorbike clubs. They are always looking for venues to show their vehicles and the best thing is apart from some space to display, they organise themselves so little work for the hard pressed LMA show team.

John

Lynne Roberts

Postby Lynne Roberts » January 17th, 2019, 12:47 pm

That sounds like a good idea John. Our Woodvale Rally has been scrapped now which was a great venue for Classic cars and brought in thousands.
Lynne

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » January 17th, 2019, 2:57 pm

All, in agreement with Lynne and in reference to the AGM whereby it was stated that we are not gaining any "new" members, whether they be young or older people, we are not experiencing growth. To this we are only "displaying" our models (whatever they are) to a "known" set of enthusiasts, what we are not doing is making our "craft" visible to the wider public. OK we could adopt the "Weston Park" philosophy of "flogging the advertising" of a show to death, but I think this is not the way to go, then again if you can't beat them, then join 'em? Another route is to form a relationship with a number of "allied" shows? We all know that the "Wings & Wheels" show works and in the past there has been an alliance whereby R/C models have flown at full size shows such as the RAF Cosford full size show. But have we explored that enough? There are numerous "private" airshows that are put on by flying clubs whereby they invite displays from, for example, The Great War Flying Team who display their replica full size SE5, Fokker DR1, etc. There is the "Victory Show" who had a full scale WW2 style re-enactment on a battlefield of tanks military etc along with full size aircraft of that period, last year was attended by Spitfire, Hurricane, P51, P47, DC3 aircraft and they get a lot of private full size aircraft attending the show as well as a huge amount of public attendance as well as a Friday "School education" attendance from the local schools.
That all being said, all we need is to spark an interest in the attending (& unsuspecting public) to see what we do and generate the enquiry to gather new members and get them flying, even if it meant we promoted training aircraft to build their confidence! Perhaps a new "training arm of the LMA? (I hope this does not generate the members to hit me with their flying lipo batteries)!
Cary

roy palin

Postby roy palin » January 17th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Hi Gents
The Military vehicle Trust, has groups all over the UK. It is a trust looking over the ex military vehicles owed by private people who restore cars bikes tanks and trucks. If anyone remembers the Woodvale show the West Lancs section provided the military vehicles and side shows, they set there side by themselves, we just give them the space. There web page is WWW.MVT.org.uk. Tel. 03333218977.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » January 17th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Well, ive been discussing shows with the boss, DJ for a while, its become same old same old, we are the Large Model Association, so i though, there must be more than aircraft out there, So, i am looking for Cars, Boats, Tanks, Earth moving stuff, all in large scale, all this will be directed at cosford and elvington, because they are local to me, But we also need to bring in public who will spend money with our traders, so this year, as an experiment, i am bringing my HUGELY succesfull Weston park show swapmeet team to our Cosford show, with the blessings of Steve Bishop, Weston shw CD, more details on this later, the aim of the swapmeet is to sell on surplus kit, enabling the proceeds to be passed over to our traders, its outstandingly succesfull at Weston, i believe it will contribute to Cosford, Anything that puts bums on seats will swell the coffers, and wake up what is becoming a bit boreing,

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » January 17th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I am looking at this problem in a rather different way to the present list of suggestions, which are also very valid.
We need to attract families who have youngsters who need to be interested in the hobby of building and flying model
aircraft.
What we do see at most of our shows is full of brilliant displays with most of the aircraft a step too far
for most. and to be honest they are, because of the skills and expertise and expense required. The only problem
is that they put themselves visibly out of reach . People can marvel at them and then go home after watching
wonderful displays and then forget them. The old saying that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make
it drink, because first you have to make it thirsty applies aptly here.
I believe that more attention should be given at suitable intervals to displaying the type of models that a youngster
could watch and think and say, I would like to do that [DAD] !!!!! Even as someone suggested, have a couple of trainer slots so they try it for themselves. This may cut down the number of slots available [some people have rather more than others]
but it could prove worthwhile.
There is a reasonable vartiety of aircraft displayed at our shows but flying is often dominated for many slots by warbirds
[ beautiful aircraft mind you ] and very little of the common club type of display which youngsters can associate with
and be attracted to.
I have a feeling that this could be an importantt consideration. We have to take a leaf out of the book from Wings and
Wheels show if we truly want to expand and also attract more traders to our shows.
We are the LMA and proud of it but we must not put all our eggs in one basket.
Remember we are all getting older and youngsters are the lifeblood of our hobby.

Rant over from one very old fart. :lol:

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » January 17th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Some really good ideas/suggestions here guys----please keep them coming---all will be discussed at our first comm meeting of 2019 next week----DAVE

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 18th, 2019, 8:18 am

We have to remember here that the LMA is a very different entity to the likes of Weston Park. The original 'Big Five' in their heyday attracted huge crowds, I know things have to change, but competing with Weston is not a good idea. We have to keep the difference. I very much like the military vehicles idea, and maybe some full size. The LMA has never been very welcoming of young blood, maybe its time to embrace the current trend for young guys and their 50cc and above aerobats. We held the UK competition for Freestyle flying at Langar last year, it was very well supported. There is the future.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » January 18th, 2019, 9:25 am

Bob, whose mentioned competing with Weston? I am bringing my swap meet team to Cosford, thats all,

Charlie Cox

Postby Charlie Cox » January 18th, 2019, 9:52 am

For what its worth, I think Bob has an idea that may help.

We are all aware of the crop of young 3D RC pilots doing the rounds and I have had the opportunity to get to know a couple or three of them quite well.

I would never, ever claim or even try to fly as they do, by brain thumb interface would not work, has never worked, fast enough, however, sadly, their style of flying generally causes comments of disdain from some of us older flyers, (I have witnessed some walk away from a superb 3D Shadow flying display, citing it as utter rubbish and not proper flying), it attracts the attention of the younger generation.
To the point I may add where by a UK racing series has asked if it were possible to get some of them to do a demo on race day!!!!
Surely, that is the sort of thing you want to get the younger generation in and watching.

Only my 2ps worth

Charlie

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 18th, 2019, 10:36 am

Alan Cantwell 1131 wrote:Bob, whose mentioned competing with Weston? I am bringing my swap meet team to Cosford, thats all,

Going towards a normal type of show IS competing with the likes of Weston, Alan. The LMA was always 'different'. A more mature type of event?...swapmeets are good, whatever. If we want to attract young people, its no good showing endless Piper Cubs (even if we like them) they want excitement. So, we have to adapt. I was totally amazed at the flying capabilities of these young lads, its not all 3D, its just amazing flying, and I would have been proud to have come last in that comp...these are the ambassadors of model flying for the future.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 18th, 2019, 10:40 am

Oh- and one more point- ALL of these young guys were polite, safety conscious and very aware of all rules. I know a lot of young people are looked down on as yobs, its certainly not true of these boys.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » January 18th, 2019, 11:44 am

There is no wish or desire to compete with Weston, quite frankly, i dont think we could, only your good self has made the referance, but our presence at Weston has been shown to bring many into the show, its bums on seats thats needed at days end, and i know what we do draws lots in, i do agree though, our shows need a bit of oomph about them, team renegade would provide that, but also other types of non flying large models can be a draw, this is what i am trying to do, bring large models of anything in,

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » January 18th, 2019, 1:58 pm

I somehow think the point of getting traders at shows is being missed - the point has been made that without traders shows will struggle no matter how many 3D flyers perform.
Traders are really struggling financially so some reduction of attending show fees may be a help.This could be a temporary measure.
While I’m posting I think a greater variety of models could help,most LMA shows seem to consist of 70% warbirds beating up the strip,which can get boring for spectators.There are hundreds of civilian models which the public do recognise.

Just my twopennorth

Pete

John Evans

Postby John Evans » January 18th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Does and Doesn't

YAS years

fun fair (no)
boating pool (no )
full size content (serious costing fly pasts visitors rides at the end of the show)
stunt bikes (lunch time slot)
large craft tent (need a uk organiser on board )
helicopter rides ( from pan )
Vintage buses ( taking wives to York for the day each day )
vintage cars and motorbikes (tend to want to bring all the family )
steam transport (through the ages of steam )
Pulse jets ( always a pull )
Bring and buy (always works)
rc race track on pan ( plenty of these groups around even bring your own)
show content (needs to be more relaxed and encompass all aspects of modelling you can have more than one flight line what about buddy lead flying at the bottom end ?)
museum ( would be nice to combine the event but not while peter is in charge less said less regretted )
The biggest and most contributing factor at Elvington was that it was a 3 day event over the august bank holiday
This did however clash with the nats which makes a loss most years but Elvington profited by having Scottish modelers deciding to park their caravans at York and having a day out to the nats I believe one year 400 caravans were parked up think of that revenue worth a thought to change the dates
traders ( they used to split in to two they got the best of both events
Yorkshire post and York press ( offer them the freedom of the site with stand for some free advertising
We will not be able to get tapping hairarsing down the runway on a motorbike when a full size was landing from the other end

whatever is tried its no good sitting on your **** and doing nothing the LMA need helpers that will work to make the event. no good saying you will help so you get in for free and do next to nothing for the rest of the weekend
this applies to some pilots and people that say the helping on a stall
costings there is always room to cut costs as some other trader will step in and give a better price and maybe a better service

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » January 18th, 2019, 9:04 pm

As an aid to getting bums on seats lets try rentacrowd :) A deal could be done with the Scout Association with drastically discounted camping rates, they can work out how many to cram into the allocated space, comes with supervision for them, gets them interested in the hobby :) Issue attendees with several tickets for the following year marked as free entry accompanied by an adult :)

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » January 18th, 2019, 10:07 pm

The intentions are honorable and well meaning. I did mention on the forum asking if the LMA would like to do a show in Cornwall in 2020. A committee meeting will make a final decision but it has been mentioned that Cornwall is too far. I understand this but Cary has raised to interesting points. Just saying....
Fly ‘til I die...

Return to “General Discussion Topics”