Hawker Typhoon restoration

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
David Quartermaine

Hawker Typhoon restoration

Postby David Quartermaine » April 8th, 2019, 11:16 am

Hi all.
Took a trip yesterday down to Uckfield the HQ of the Hawker Typhoon Restoration Group for their members open day.
The objective of this group is to restore a Typhoon to be the only flying example in the world. Considering all the RAF's Typhoons were scrapped shortly after WW2 it was astounding to see what remnants the group has collected. Here are a few of the more noteworthy examples.
m_IMG_2560.jpg
m_IMG_2560.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

This is a Napier Sabre, the original engine type, believed unrun and never been stripped.

m_IMG_2562.jpg
m_IMG_2562.jpg (68.21 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

Front fuselage with cockpit.

m_IMG_2561.jpg
m_IMG_2561.jpg (60.33 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

Rear fuselage, the first part of the project for restoration. It now should be on its way to the contractor.

If you feel this epic undertaking is worth supporting visit here https://hawkertyphoon.com/ where one can learn more and become a member or just donate. The target for completion is 2024 the 80th anniversary of D-Day when the Typhoon really began to make its mark on the war.

m_IMG_2572.jpg
m_IMG_2572.jpg (72.11 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

There can't be many people left who have heard this engine, supposed to be something, please consider helping. The bottom line is an awful lot of money is the deciding factor of success.

Dave.
Last edited by David Quartermaine on April 26th, 2019, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

barrie burton

Re: Hawker Typhoon restoration

Postby barrie burton » April 8th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Dave,brings back memories.I worked on Tempest 5 in 1953.Used as drouge tugs for air to air gunnery practice.I put a sledgehammer thru the cam covers of the Sabre,about a dozen of them,before dumping them in the sea off the coast of Sylt

Barrie Burton

David Quartermaine

Postby David Quartermaine » April 8th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Barrie, I suppose you were obeying orders so forgiven. Its probable that someone in HTRG is already in the process of donning a wet suit and organising transport, they are pretty fanatical in the pursuit of parts. Actually they have a Tempest fuselage from India although I believe that would be a Mk2 fitted with a Centaurus.

Dave.

barrie burton

Postby barrie burton » April 9th, 2019, 7:23 am

I gave the same info to a guy in Canada who is building a Tempest.His reply was that the waters around Sylt are too dangerous for diving due to the large amount of dumped munition,it was home to German U boats and was,I think, the first place we bombed in WW2.

Nothing to do with large models but still intersting.

Vincent Raia

Postby Vincent Raia » June 18th, 2019, 10:55 am

Great post David, although not model related, all very interesting, especially for the modeller interested in building one of these rare aircraft.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”