Thank you all drone owners

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Mike Ellis

Thank you all drone owners

Postby Mike Ellis » November 26th, 2019, 8:19 pm

I started modelling model aircraft in the 60s,
I joined clubs, met loads of nice people and it was a pleasure .
This went on without incident till about 12 mths ago when certain people started buying plastic electric quadcopters and decided to fly where they like , when they like, didnt join any clubs nor had to show their competance in flying and never took insurance out.
Due to outrageous behaviour by some in buzzing actual airports ! suddenly the CAA have decided model aircraft are also the same as these plastic pile of crap and without one single incident with a model aircraft buzzing an aerodrome, have decided to charge me £9.0.0 to do something I have been doing safely for nearly 60 years !!
Plastic crap is plastic crap , NOT a model aircraft !!
This is the death nell for moddellers like me.
I will not play their game !!
Im selling everything I have and good riddance to the effing plastic toys !!

stuart knowles 1611

Re: Thank you all drone owners

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » November 26th, 2019, 10:20 pm

I feel your pain but if you are packing it all in, I hardly think it fair to blame the extra nine quid, especially as the LMA are paying it for you this year.
The whole subject has really been flogged to, and beyond, death in the various forums. I fail to understand all the excitement. I've done all the tests just out of interest, just to see what's what, I have my pilot number in the TX case, I will probably have a set of stickers with my 'O' number in due course, but the chances are that until someone who matters asks to see it, they will remain in the box. If anyone asks why its not on the model its because it's only just come out of a long hibernation and I forgot to put one. I'll do it now.
The world moves on. Ok, most modeller are just collateral damage and are not the root cause but Rob, Dave Phipps and others have done a good job on our behalf. It's the price of a cheap prop. Sorry, See where you are coming from but - is it worth getting so stressed?

David Berry

Postby David Berry » November 26th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Totally agree with your sentiment Mike, and with Stuart's reply, but we are where we are and its not worth getting stressed about it and risking your health.
This all started some years ago, however, and relates to future airspace usage as much as it does to the antics of a few stupid drone fliers; the alleged "Gatwick Incident" that has no supporting evidence in the public domain despite over 100,000 people being present was a convenient 'hook' to support the policy. Countries around the world are inflicting similar systems on their aeromodellers.
Keep calm and please carry on aeromodelling Mike.

Mike Ellis

Postby Mike Ellis » November 26th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Thanks Dave for your kind words.
Yes ,I have been torn up inside with rage at this assault on the hobby I love and had to put some of my vitriol on here !!
The 9 quid is unimportant in reality but to me we have been dealt a grave misjustice.
Anyway rant over now lol

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » November 27th, 2019, 10:49 am

Similarly we are all being penalised for silly young people in cars causing accidents and everyone else gets their car insurances hiked up due to this. We still have to accept the increase or we don't get to drive our cars.
It is a shame that the world we live in is being affected in this way but as money drives everything to do something, you pays your money and you makes your choice!
Cary

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » November 27th, 2019, 8:29 pm

The LMA paying the first year, whilst no doubt kindly meant by the LMA, is also a process of "normalising" this payment in future. If the entire hobby refuses to comply with the charge, and made nuisances of themselves by protesting at airports, I daresay the requirement for' model aircraft' (as opposed to drones) to register would very rapidly be "looked at again". Widespread non-compliance/peaceful-but-costly protests at airports is what they're concerned about. Presumably this concern led to a reduction or whatever for the first year arising. All they needed to say, was that any model aircraft flown at a recognised club field, or under the auspices, of a recognised body (such as BMFA/LMA etc) need not register. Job done?

It'd also be interesting to see if all this nonsense applies to unfinished models. Logically it can't, so if your model is unfinished, (but flyable), you could argue the case it doesn't come under the regulation! Afterall, they can't make you register the intention to build a model... ergo an unfinished model is - or should be - technically exempt? If not, at what point would it cease to be so?

If incomplete models are said to be liable, then presumably the DoT/CAA will have to apply the same standards to Airbus wings under construction?

"I've always meant to touch-up those scratches by the tail-wheel of my model, officer...." :twisted:

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 28th, 2019, 8:25 am

Firstly, Devil's advocate mode here- not all drone users are law breaking idiots. It is a small minority. It is the fact that anyone can 'fly' a drone that causes a problem, little Jimmy buying a Hi Boy from ebay is most likely just to plant it in a field somewhere, not cause risk to an airliner.
As for the Gatwick Incident, I am quite unconvinced that there ever was a drone of any kind there, BUT there was a computer outage just after the sale of the airport went through- draw your own conclusions.
What we have at the moment is a small hiccup in our hobby, most of us will see no difference at all (at least this year, thanks to the LMA) and a few quid a year after that. Even the BMFA, for the first time I can remember, have not increased their fees...
Nothing much to worry about at the moment. I will have great fun hiding my 3mm tall numbers 'in plain sight'....

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » November 28th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Fingers crossed it will go the way of the dog and CB licenses, this year I will mainly be driving the mower on a locked gate airfield, as and when I Have the need to fly something then it's not mine or anyone else's, (how did you get in the gate, please leave) :)
Trespass is not a criminal offense. Once told to leave then it becomes Aggravated Trespass which is a whole different ball game, don't expect any help in future if you tell the police to F ** *f.
In short with the land owners permission no one can come on to your flying site and ask for anything to do with DROSS !

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 29th, 2019, 8:11 am

The whole legislation seems to be directed at people (mostly drone users) who fly from common land, car parks, back roads etc. We are also on a locked airfield, and I would like to see how any inspector or policeman would gain access. However, the seemingly grey area with insurance is enough to make me do the 'right' thing.

David Jones

Postby David Jones » November 29th, 2019, 10:08 am

Call me a defeatest, call me stupid or just plain lazy. I've taken the test on the CAA website, paid my £9 and got my user and operator id.s. Sit back, put me feet up and careless about the whole affair. Job done.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 29th, 2019, 11:43 am

You are not an LMA member then?

chris-berry

Postby chris-berry » November 29th, 2019, 8:20 pm

I completely agree Mike, that the random xmas toy brigade have resulted in this legislation. Gatwick was used as an excuse and hyped up to the advantage of this legislation. In terms of giving up and the hobby being ruined i'm not convinced.

I've been flying for 30 years since I was a wee boy and won't be giving up because I have to pay 9 quid (although thanks to the LMA, not this year)

We shouldn't blame the CAA entirely. The DFT and the arrogant Baroness are to blame. The CAA have been doign as they were told and things have significantly progressed since lady arrogance was 'moved'. The CAA have issued multiple exemptions in the last 2 years to enable the associations and their members to carry on as we have for decades. As for numbers and registration and testing, I'll be sitting tight and playing the game for the next 6 to 12 months and see what happens. I know for sure that things won't remain the same and I anticipate that modellers will get more exemptions in coming months.

Personally I think using the associations and carrying on with the hobby is the only way to proceed and I certainly won't be giving up due to some short sighted idiots in whitehall or idiots flying mechano sets.

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » November 30th, 2019, 9:38 pm

The rot is going both ways as I understand that top line Pro drone pilots are now being required to have a PPL in order to continue doing their job at places such at Scarebuss an Owing :(

Return to “General Discussion Topics”