Operator ID

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
John Greenfield

Operator ID

Postby John Greenfield » February 14th, 2020, 9:00 am

Hi All

I have received my Operator ID (Thank you LMA) and in reading all the supporting documentation it does seem to imply that I only need to put my ID on all my models that weigh between 250g and 20kg. It does not seem that I need to put the number on any of my models that weigh over 20kg. Is this correct?

I think I may put the number on them anyway as trying to explain to a policeman that the model is over 20kg so does not need a number could cause more agro that it is worth.
Incidentally, we recently had a visit by the police "Rural" team to the flying field and they knew all about the new legislation and the need for operator ID's and Remote pilot competency.

John

Rob Buckley

Re: Operator ID

Postby Rob Buckley » February 14th, 2020, 9:05 am

Yes, last issue of the Journal Page 10
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 14th, 2020, 9:37 am

John- did they actually come on to the field without permission? I hope you pointed out that they and their vehicle is not insured....

David Jones

Postby David Jones » February 14th, 2020, 9:58 am

So, If a local bobby visits a farmer to check up on his shotgun licence, method of storage etc, when is he not insured? When he exits the public road onto the farmers lane, when he gets out of the police vehicle in the farmers yard, or when he knocks on the door. In my day, the cops could go anywhere if they had "reasonable suspicion" that an offence was being committed. Experience taught me that people who didn't like to see the police invariably had something to hide. If they rolled up to our field I like to think they'd be offered a brew and have a chat about toy aeroplanes. Dave Jones (PC 5147) Retired.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 14th, 2020, 10:44 am

Used to do it regularly until one bobby drove out of the car park and over my starter box.. however, a car is not insured on an active airfield. And private property is just that. Unless invited, they have no right to be there. And accessing our field is via a locked gate. Good luck with that.

Steve McDonald

Postby Steve McDonald » February 14th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Operator ID Email arrived, labels printed, just need the weather to get out flying! Thank you LMA

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » February 15th, 2020, 8:58 am

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:John- did they actually come on to the field without permission? I hope you pointed out that they and their vehicle is not insured....

Bob
We welcome them onto our site and always have a chat and a brew. It is good to have them onside. It is the same team that drive down the lane I live in and knowing them and that they are keeping an eye on things is a good thing.
You seem to be assuming that having the police around is a bad thing !!?

It still leaves the question of do I have to put my operator id on my over 20kg models?

John

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 15th, 2020, 10:20 am

Last issue of the Journal Page 10

Glenn Masters

Postby Glenn Masters » February 15th, 2020, 10:51 am

Page 10 of the journal says
*Over 20kg models have specific requirements that are listed on the exemtion for the model, but compliance with operator and remote pilot requirements are not included*
Is this an exercise in unclarity ?
I agree John, its a hard quiz to decifer from the clues within the said article as to whether ID is required to be placed on an over 20kg model ?
Maybe its because no self respecting drug delivery pilot would use a drone over 20 kg ?

just my thoughts

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 15th, 2020, 10:58 am

The bit just before you quoted says-

All of this applies all model aircraft except the following out of scope categories

• Models Under 250g
• Models Over 20kg
• Control line models
• Models Flown indoors

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 15th, 2020, 12:57 pm

John Greenfield wrote:
Bob Thompson1894 wrote:John- did they actually come on to the field without permission? I hope you pointed out that they and their vehicle is not insured....

Bob
We welcome them onto our site and always have a chat and a brew. It is good to have them onside. It is the same team that drive down the lane I live in and knowing them and that they are keeping an eye on things is a good thing.
You seem to be assuming that having the police around is a bad thing !!?

It still leaves the question of do I have to put my operator id on my over 20kg models?

John

Of course its not a bad thing, as long as they are invited and dont come looking just to check everyone is legal, they have much more important stuff to do, we had a break in and never saw any police, just given a crime number. Twice this year our gate has had the hinges cut with a grinder, so the scrotes could access the scrap in a skip on an adjacent firms yard. Not a policeman seen.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 15th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Well, its all going to change with the new EASA rules, obviously working in conjunction with the CAA, coming in June. If these are the rules that were agreed and passed last year, then we can rest a little easier-
(27) Since model aircraft are considered as UAS and given the good safety level demonstrated by model aircraft
operations in clubs and associations, there should be a seamless transition from the different national systems to
the new Union regulatory framework, so that model aircraft clubs and associations can continue to operate as
they do today, as well as taking into account existing best practices in the Member States.
(28) In addition, considering the good level of safety achieved by aircraft of class C4 as provided in Annex to this
Regulation, low risk operations of such aircraft should be allowed to be conducted in the ‘open’ category. Such
aircraft, often used by model aircraft operators, are comparatively simpler than other classes of unmanned
aircraft and should therefore not be subject to disproportionate technical requirements.
As for the 'over 20kg' matter, these models are already logged and licenced individually, and are surely exempt from having numbers attached?

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 15th, 2020, 1:31 pm

To answer some of the more popular questions, I've added a page to the website. It's under Resources (from the forum you might need to click on Home first), and a link here

https://www.largemodelassociation.com/resources/2020-caa-registration/

Glenn Masters

Postby Glenn Masters » February 15th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Thats nice and clear Rob. A very useful summary

Return to “General Discussion Topics”