CAA Operator I.D...what did we pay for

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
John Greenfield

CAA Operator I.D...what did we pay for

Postby John Greenfield » February 17th, 2020, 5:47 pm

All

The CAA have today issued ORS4 1345 which superseeds 1332 which required us to all have an operator I.D to make our models legal from 23rd Feb 2020.
This new ORS4 has now put the date back to 30th June, which is the proposed date for the new EASA regulations to come into play.
With no requirement now to have an operator I.D......what did the LMA pay £9 per head for !!!!!

I hope we ask for a refund.

John

David Berry

Re: CAA Operator I.D...what did we pay for

Postby David Berry » February 17th, 2020, 6:32 pm

Sod's law, I've just finished labelling all 20+ of my aircraft :evil:
It's taken quite a bit of explanation to get some of our club members to be compliant, now we can reverse it all and say " forget labelling (at least until the end of June), simply carry a copy of the exemption with you."
I hope these civil servants don't go anywhere near a brewery.
One question - is my four day old Operator Number now obsolete?

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 17th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Something had to be shown for the two million quid given to the CAA for a computer system.

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » February 18th, 2020, 9:44 am

After a career in aviation, this is absolutely typical of "The Puzzle Palace". Of course the whole lot will revert yet again when the Brexit dust settles no doubt, and we commence very slightly deviating from EASA. This will be exactly the sort of area used by politicians to then "prove that we are forging world leading policies in Aviation regulation" or somesuch "piffle", relying on the general public - and us - dying of sheer boredom or utter frustration - before figuring out exactly what the policy is now.

I did laugh at the "not letting them near a brewery" comment!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 18th, 2020, 9:51 am

Well, something nasty will hit the fan soon. Less than a thousand from the LMA, 15,000 from the BMFA, thats less than £150,000. Unless the drone fraternity cough up a lot of of money, the 2.4 million a year needed to run the scheme is looking a bit thin. Or is it that EASA will simply take over, and the CAA quietly put the two million loan from the government in to their budget?

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » February 18th, 2020, 10:37 am

The price will be put up, "reluctantly" (read "foreseeably"). As I understand it, the CAA are mandated by Act of Parliament to recover all their costs in administering Civil Aviation. In practice this tends to mean, as well as paying for their gold-plated pensions, those at the bottom of the aviation food-chain, eg Private Pilots, (and below them, us!) pay rather more than large Airlines, who have the clout to "negotiate" better deals for rates. (and even those are pretty eye-watering)

They do do very good work, especially in Aviation Safety, and I'm sure they are genuinely all 'models of rectitude', but the system itself is utterly indefensible, as Parliament doesn't give a damn if they're not being asked to pay for it, and there's really no body examining whether the scales of charges represent value-for-money for actual costs incurred. As essentially the same body that decides the costs, also implements the scale of charges, without meaningful peer-review, beyond airlines complaining periodically, one can readily see the systemic problem.

In fairness to the CAA, they're not the only actor here, so to some extent they're being impelled to design and implement something, which had the decision been entirely theirs - as opposed to the DoT's - might never have seen the light of day.

The best thing we could have done, as a hobby, would have been to refuse, point-blank, to comply, and raise such a protracted series of (lawful) nuisances to them that the scheme is dropped, or at least the non-drone part of it. If it had been a one-off "license charge", I think that might have worked - afterall we most of us do the same for a driving license - it's the recurrent charge in association with the CAA's requirement to cover costs incurred that's the "gotcha".
Last edited by Timothy Huff on February 18th, 2020, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Gorham

Postby Alan Gorham » February 18th, 2020, 10:44 am

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:Well, something nasty will hit the fan soon. Less than a thousand from the LMA, 15,000 from the BMFA, thats less than £150,000. Unless the drone fraternity cough up a lot of of money, the 2.4 million a year needed to run the scheme is looking a bit thin. Or is it that EASA will simply take over, and the CAA quietly put the two million loan from the government in to their budget?

A member on another forum submitted an FoI request to discover how many registrations the CAA had received last December. It was already at 80,000 then, excluding the bulk uploads from the Model Associations. Perhaps your doom and gloom is misplaced?

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » February 18th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Still far short of the original estimate of 170,000 registrations expected. Typical of arbitrary numbers dreamt up by government departments, ie. cost of HS2, Cross rail, nuclear power stations etc etc.
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 18th, 2020, 6:56 pm

who the heck are the 80,000? All drone flyers? Uninsured lone flyers? I dont get it.

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » February 21st, 2020, 8:27 pm

The whole point of the legislation is so when they net a drone flying drugs into a prison or such like, they can get the number from it and find the pilot unless it is over 20kg lol
They could have simply stood up and said that registration would be pointless and saved money !

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 21st, 2020, 9:16 pm

Steve Perry wrote: They could have simply stood up and said that registration would be pointless and saved money !

We did. And stand by that. I am still bemused at who the 80,000 people are who are not in one of the associations, and therefore not insured, yet are happy to give £9 to the CAA for a number...I have no idea where these people would fly.

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » February 25th, 2020, 11:07 pm

Is it possible someone had "fibbed" as to the up-take rate?

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 26th, 2020, 8:26 am

Timothy Huff wrote:Is it possible someone had "fibbed" as to the up-take rate?

surely not.... :shock: :lol:

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 26th, 2020, 10:44 am

There were 110,000 registered operators before the approx. 20,000 model association members were uploaded earlier this month.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 26th, 2020, 4:03 pm

who are they? Where are they? 110,000? Are there hordes of drone flyers hiding in woods and forests? The mind boggles.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 26th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Don't care. Don't know. Yes, I'm not making it up. There's one registered drone operator for about every 600 people in the UK, so they are probably in the towns, villages, fields and valleys too.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 27th, 2020, 8:48 am

Have they included the entire Taliban?

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » February 28th, 2020, 1:37 pm

I smell Bull*** someone’s lying, I know of five guys with drones local to me, 3 knew about the regs, but said so what, 2 said what regs

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » February 28th, 2020, 3:12 pm

To go along with those registration figures defies common sense. Cobblers??????? :lol:

Nigel Cox

Postby Nigel Cox » February 28th, 2020, 6:25 pm

I asked a friend of mine who's in the Met Police and he knew nothing about the new rules or what powers they had, so the information isn't getting out ??

Return to “General Discussion Topics”