400 ft

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Arthur Fielding

400 ft

Postby Arthur Fielding » December 25th, 2020, 11:40 am

Happy Christmas
If you are reading this to day you are probably like me on your own, but no problem, more time for building.
Please take the following as a serious question, and not as I am told by fellow club members that I am just causing trouble by asking the following.
The height limit is 4ooft ,But how can you with out a vero (If your radio will support one) possible know how high your model is ? I see it as like trying to stick to 70mph driving your car without a speedo. All we are doing is guessing.
This 400ft limit has been around for years, and is looked on as the How long is a piece of string problem I could go ,but it is Christmas.
Yes i have a vero in my models,but i am in the minority where i fly. So what is the answer?
Stay safe,and lets hope for a better new year.
Arthur

Peter Smedley

Re: 400 ft

Postby Peter Smedley » December 26th, 2020, 7:27 am

I agree. One solution is to have the entire club present while a pilot with telemetry flies passed at 400’.
I must ask the next time I’m up at my club
Fly ‘til I die...

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » December 26th, 2020, 8:57 am

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Depending on your radio, telemetry altitude & variometer is only an Arduino, pressure sensor & a few quid away.

If not, a model at 400ft flying over something on the ground 100 yards away will be 500ft from you. Walk 500 ft from your model on the ground and remember how big it looks.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » December 26th, 2020, 9:02 am

Great idea I’ll try that.
This reminds me of A Father Ted episode when they’re in a caravan. :D
Fly ‘til I die...

barrie burton

Postby barrie burton » December 26th, 2020, 10:32 am

Was it not 400 ft long before we had telemetry on our radio? We must want something to-do being on a forum Boxing day .I have built 3 models during lockdown,finished all my housework for the day,I will now try and workout how I have B up my Taranis radio.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”