E10 Petrol and 2 stroke engines

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
richard armstrong

E10 Petrol and 2 stroke engines

Postby richard armstrong » August 9th, 2021, 1:23 pm

Is there any info or word out there for the possible problems the E10 petrol can cause to 2 stroke engines?

E5 is still about but at a price?

opening to the floor for discussion
Richard "the rocket" Armstrong

"Fly me to the moon" then crash and burn BABY!

Peter Smedley

Re: E10 Petrol and 2 stroke engines

Postby Peter Smedley » August 11th, 2021, 6:38 pm

On older engine carbs I’ve heard it’s the diaphragm rubbers that could be affected.

I’ve started using Aspen
Fly ‘til I die...

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » August 12th, 2021, 5:12 am

It’s a very good question Richard, and one that should, and probably does raise concerns, but I think the fact is—no one knows, so cannot give an opinion, I am certainly concerned, but havnt a clue,

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » August 12th, 2021, 10:11 am

Richard, this is from Just Engines
Petrolmagedon? E10 fuel is hitting a forecourt near you. We have had a number of enquiries as to how this will affect your engines. We have been doing some research on this and Walbro Carbs are happy with E10 fuel, In fact in the USA they have had E15 and more for some time. So the problem is not new.
The E stands for Ethanol which is added to reduce the virgin carbon content of the fuel 10 is the percentage added.

The main things to consider are that ethanol (like methanol from glow fuel) is water soluble and so fuel can absorb water over time which in turn can cause corrosion and of course render fuel useless.

We would recommend the continued use of E5 fuel while it is available, most Petrol Stations that have the option of two grades of fuel will continue to sell E5. And where only E10 is available to be aware of the need to not leave fuel in models and to not store petrol for prolonged periods. We would suggest ensuring engines be stored in a warm dry place over winter.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”