Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Why not share your information on your latest creation
Wayne Cox
Posts: 180
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
Location: Dudley UK
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Wayne Cox » September 18th, 2020, 11:49 am

Many thanks Peter if she flys as good as my other one I will be happy
Regards
Wayne

Wayne Cox
Posts: 180
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
Location: Dudley UK
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Wayne Cox » September 20th, 2020, 8:04 pm

So Saito FG36cc petrol installed, spinner cut out only have two of these as you can’t get them so to say the least I took my time.
Checked on real aircraft for a picture of its prop and painted
Attachments
F7E1152E-BB68-4B07-9D33-6C1E93E9DD9A.jpeg
F7E1152E-BB68-4B07-9D33-6C1E93E9DD9A.jpeg (110 KiB) Viewed 5736 times
5925C9A3-98E5-40E7-A783-DC5CB0010705.jpeg
5925C9A3-98E5-40E7-A783-DC5CB0010705.jpeg (502.93 KiB) Viewed 5736 times
3D6DD533-EBFF-402F-9D0C-372D39B0189D.jpeg
3D6DD533-EBFF-402F-9D0C-372D39B0189D.jpeg (485.91 KiB) Viewed 5736 times
34FAB8D7-8328-4E8E-A5B5-5F77783BE4F8.jpeg
34FAB8D7-8328-4E8E-A5B5-5F77783BE4F8.jpeg (475.41 KiB) Viewed 5736 times

Wayne Cox
Posts: 180
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
Location: Dudley UK
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Wayne Cox » October 20th, 2020, 8:32 pm

So we have her on her wheels.
Tested CofG and need to add some weight up front just some small things to do also walk ways but neatly there.
Should be starting motor at weekend
Attachments
DC9345F8-4449-47F7-ABEA-D04BD204BC6C.jpeg
DC9345F8-4449-47F7-ABEA-D04BD204BC6C.jpeg (470.75 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
BAD28279-0D42-4391-B65F-92D8D19AC500.jpeg
BAD28279-0D42-4391-B65F-92D8D19AC500.jpeg (442.26 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
AABFDD54-9FA7-45D4-822B-27F9F3945E29.jpeg
AABFDD54-9FA7-45D4-822B-27F9F3945E29.jpeg (318.76 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
2B01EFD1-10DB-490F-A384-E4DC62DD3ABE.jpeg
2B01EFD1-10DB-490F-A384-E4DC62DD3ABE.jpeg (396.71 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
FC777072-8481-4E77-93B2-1796665F34BD.jpeg
FC777072-8481-4E77-93B2-1796665F34BD.jpeg (540.13 KiB) Viewed 5588 times

Wayne Cox
Posts: 180
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
Location: Dudley UK
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Wayne Cox » August 14th, 2021, 1:30 pm

So replaced Satio 36cc to a Satio 40cc and flys great I will try and post some videos but some photos from the field today
Attachments
529A2CAE-B18D-4CD9-ACDC-5DDD26F4B2A3.jpeg
529A2CAE-B18D-4CD9-ACDC-5DDD26F4B2A3.jpeg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
F3358DE6-A9FA-4A99-8F03-A0132996D1B5.jpeg
F3358DE6-A9FA-4A99-8F03-A0132996D1B5.jpeg (36.65 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
3E429E87-CE2E-44BA-A56A-A8DAAD2CDDD8.jpeg
3E429E87-CE2E-44BA-A56A-A8DAAD2CDDD8.jpeg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
FA4CBD2D-C5D3-4070-9918-4928E18B010C.jpeg
FA4CBD2D-C5D3-4070-9918-4928E18B010C.jpeg (23.86 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
C475D1FB-AD89-4DA1-8E00-90ED21B76B70.jpeg
C475D1FB-AD89-4DA1-8E00-90ED21B76B70.jpeg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 4870 times

Timothy Huff
Posts: 170
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Timothy Huff » October 22nd, 2021, 12:24 pm

Back in the 90's just before RAF Manston became (in a desperately sad renaming to "Kent International Airport" - how I loathe the renaming of wartime fields to names considered more likely to gain commerce) I was doing my instructors ticket, and regularly watched the "Chippies" flying in the local area. You've done a truly magnificent job, even down to the badges on the pilots flying-suit! I'd love to see film footage taken from the rear seat, if ever you get interested in that line, it's a masterpiece of a model, and is going to look superb in the air! Thanks for sharing it..

Mike Whitehead
Posts: 17
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 12:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Mike Whitehead » October 30th, 2021, 4:31 pm

Hi Wayne, great model. Can you send me the control throws you used please. I’m finishing a Jerry Bates version but there’s no help on the plans.
Ta
Mike

Wayne Cox
Posts: 180
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
Location: Dudley UK
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Wayne Cox » November 2nd, 2021, 9:53 pm

Timothy Huff wrote:Back in the 90's just before RAF Manston became (in a desperately sad renaming to "Kent International Airport" - how I loathe the renaming of wartime fields to names considered more likely to gain commerce) I was doing my instructors ticket, and regularly watched the "Chippies" flying in the local area. You've done a truly magnificent job, even down to the badges on the pilots flying-suit! I'd love to see film footage taken from the rear seat, if ever you get interested in that line, it's a masterpiece of a model, and is going to look superb in the air! Thanks for sharing it..


Hi Timothy
Many thanks for your kind words.
First time I have scaled one up so much, all the panels I have cut from tin.
The pilot I have from Wilson at Tailored Pilots I have a few
https://tailoredpilots.com
Regarding video I could do one and msg it to you.
Regards
Wayne

Wayne Cox
Posts: 180
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
Location: Dudley UK
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Wayne Cox » November 2nd, 2021, 9:56 pm

Mike Whitehead wrote:Hi Wayne, great model. Can you send me the control throws you used please. I’m finishing a Jerry Bates version but there’s no help on the plans.
Ta
Mike


Hi Mike sorry for late response.
I will get them over to you soonest.
Would love to see yours.

I have just started to prep my other Chipmunk as I am doing a new paint scheme we are looking to fly about 4-5 next year at the LMA shows yours would be great to have in
Regards
Wayne

Timothy Huff
Posts: 170
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 4:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Timothy Huff » November 6th, 2021, 2:57 pm

Wayne Cox wrote:
Timothy Huff wrote:Back in the 90's just before RAF Manston became (in a desperately sad renaming to "Kent International Airport" - how I loathe the renaming of wartime fields to names considered more likely to gain commerce) I was doing my instructors ticket, and regularly watched the "Chippies" flying in the local area. You've done a truly magnificent job, even down to the badges on the pilots flying-suit! I'd love to see film footage taken from the rear seat, if ever you get interested in that line, it's a masterpiece of a model, and is going to look superb in the air! Thanks for sharing it..


Hi Timothy
Many thanks for your kind words.
First time I have scaled one up so much, all the panels I have cut from tin.
The pilot I have from Wilson at Tailored Pilots I have a few
https://tailoredpilots.com
Regarding video I could do one and msg it to you.
Regards
Wayne


I'm sure we'd all very much like to see video from of that. Your best bet would probably be to upload it to You-tube, then all you need to send anyone is a link to the film. It's a doddle once you've worked it out for the first time....

Dave Wilshere
Posts: 77
Joined: October 18th, 2013, 7:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Dave Wilshere » November 10th, 2021, 10:51 am

My 1/4 Scale Chippy.

https://youtu.be/cHfgXTFtV70

Wayne Cox
Posts: 180
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
Location: Dudley UK
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Wayne Cox » November 10th, 2021, 11:34 pm

[quote="Dave Wilshere"]My 1/4 Scale Chippy.

Hi Dave
I saw your maiden very nice great flight.
Do you still have her

Dave Wilshere
Posts: 77
Joined: October 18th, 2013, 7:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Dave Wilshere » November 15th, 2021, 3:55 pm

Wayne

Yes, its a keeper. just fighting with the OS 30GF that's exhibiting the usual problems!

Dave

Wayne Cox
Posts: 180
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
Location: Dudley UK
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Wayne Cox » November 16th, 2021, 9:56 am

Hi Dave
I have not had one of them so don’t know the problems.
I have a Saito FG40cc in this one but have a 36cc in my other

Cheers
Wayne

chris-berry
Posts: 130
Joined: May 13th, 2016, 5:27 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby chris-berry » October 26th, 2022, 7:26 pm

Hi Wayne.
What size prop are you running on the chippy with the FG40?

Cheers

Wayne Cox
Posts: 180
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm
Location: Dudley UK
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby Wayne Cox » November 16th, 2022, 9:27 pm

chris-berry wrote:Hi Wayne.
What size prop are you running on the chippy with the FG40?

Cheers

Hi Chris
Sorry for delay been off for a bit.
I will check for you mate but when I changed it I got another 400 + revs but most of all the take off had much more affect

chris-berry
Posts: 130
Joined: May 13th, 2016, 5:27 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Contact:

Re: Mike Smart 1/4 DHC Chipmunk

Postby chris-berry » November 23rd, 2022, 1:23 pm

Thanks Wayne


Return to “Your New Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests