Jerry Bates Chipmunk Build

Why not share your information on your latest creation
Mike Whitehead

Jerry Bates Chipmunk Build

Postby Mike Whitehead » March 12th, 2024, 9:14 pm

Jerry Bates Chipmunk Build Thread - Mike Whitehead

I always enjoy reading the build threads of our LMA group and as there hasn’t appeared to be much building going on recently!! so I thought I’d do a ‘short’ thread on my last project which may spur some of you to do the same?
I aim to do this review over the course of this week so let's see how I get on.
Having completed a relatively complex model previously with my vampire I opted for simplicity this time when choosing a project. No retracts, No jet engine, Easy to fly, etc, etc.
Also something with loads of reference material available. As I said easy.....
I chose a Jerry Bates Chipmunk which met the criteria above and would be relatively quick and cheap to build. With a kit and plan ordered from Belair we were off.
The project started back in 2017, again my good friend and sadly now retired builder Dave Jones completed the basic aircraft for me.

The airframe arrived in late 2018 ready for me to take over and finish the details.

IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg (403.94 KiB) Viewed 407 times

Wings

I covered the wings and flying surfaces in Diatex, I opted for the same glue used on the full size which was expensive but well worth the extra cost as its simple and very effective rather than the PVA option. Both Diatex and Sky Tech Fabric cement were ordered from Skycraft Ltd.
Additionally, I opted to install a working light set on the airframe so cables were routed and the lights ordered from Lighting for Aeromodellers for both wing tip lights and the rear flashing unit. As you’ll see from the picture they are really bright.
The main wing taxi light was made from a cannibalised torch and an engine cut off switch. This was later operated on use of the flaps.

IMG_0741.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg (433.4 KiB) Viewed 407 times

The undercarriage was inspired by a chance conversation with our good friend John Brookes at an LMA Cosford meeting, he kindly agreed to ‘knock up’ a set of oleo’s and wheels and the results were nothing but outstanding, well done John, brilliant job..

IMG_2701.jpg
IMG_2701.jpg (342.52 KiB) Viewed 407 times

Fuselage

The fuselage was glassed using 50g/m2 cloth and epoxy finishing resin. A couple of primer coats and it was ready to install the radio equipment, cockpit and engine.

IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg (343.8 KiB) Viewed 407 times

A semi scale battery panel was introduced to act as a cover for the main radio switch, engine cut off and lighting systems. Laminated epoxy resign over the structure BEFORE you cut out the hole. Small brass hinges and magnets to hold shut.

IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg (341.23 KiB) Viewed 407 times

IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg (407.8 KiB) Viewed 407 times

The cowl was a glass fibre mould from Fighteraces, because I like making things really hard I manufactured a scale exhaust from some old alloy pipe which I then sprayed with a few different colours and rubbed down with wet and dry to give a weather and smokey exhaust effect, I thought it worked out well for a first go. Pictures show a before and after.

IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1065.jpg (391.29 KiB) Viewed 407 times

IMG_1480.jpg
IMG_1480.jpg (396.1 KiB) Viewed 407 times

Cockpit

Having said I wanted to keep things simple on top of the working lights I also decided to build a sliding canopy and a full cockpit as I like a challenge.
Firstly, I built the instrument panels from scale drawings obtained on the internet. Light alloy panels with and bezels made from solder as this is easy to bend into shape around the drill you make the instrument holes with. Laminated copies of the instruments glued to the back of the panel. I’ve found if you just use the paper copy moisture can discolour the print over time. Laminating keeps them dry and looks like a glass face of the dial.

IMG_0477.jpg
IMG_0477.jpg (513.37 KiB) Viewed 407 times

With some imagination and a build up of paint slightly rubbed back to represent normal wear and tear it starts to come alive.

IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_0710.jpg (433.33 KiB) Viewed 407 times

The final result with a pilot, seat belts, compass etc was well worth the effort.

That’s enough for tonight.
More tomorrow!!

Mike Whitehead

Re: Jerry Bates Chipmunk Build

Postby Mike Whitehead » March 12th, 2024, 9:18 pm

IMG_1286.jpg
IMG_1286.jpg (398.47 KiB) Viewed 403 times

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » March 13th, 2024, 10:17 am

Thanks for posting. Outstanding Oleos and Cockpit. The Chipmunk makes a fine flying model.

chip100.jpg
chip100.jpg (94.66 KiB) Viewed 380 times

Welcome to the Chipmunk club.

Mike Whitehead

Postby Mike Whitehead » March 13th, 2024, 9:16 pm

Part 2

Sliding Canopy

The Canopy set from Fighteraces comprised a one piece clear plastic windscreen and white plastic cover which I only assumed should be used to make the framework around the clear windscreen. I decided to ditch this idea for two reasons;
The white plastic appears to flimsy and was not thick enough for a scale appearance.
For a sliding canopy I needed something far more sturdy as this would be the main entrance to the radio equipment and needed to slide on the rails without bending.

Original Frame

IMG_1530.jpg
IMG_1530.jpg (232.26 KiB) Viewed 348 times

I made a laminated Carbon/Glass frame slightly oversize which I would cut back later to a scale appearance. I took a brave pill and used the plastic clear windscreen (well protected) as a plug.

IMG_1949.jpg
IMG_1949.jpg (82.68 KiB) Viewed 348 times

This wasn’t an easy job and took me many hours of pondering before getting on with it. The really hard bit was to come though which was how to make it sliding on rails and fit nicely up to the windscreen...
I’d built parallel brass rails into the fuselage and used plastic H section glued onto the finished canopy. As per full size a third rail was located on the rear spine of the fuselage. Matching ply plates were made for both Canopy and Windscreen with small dowels to locate the position once closed, these can be just seen in the picture and were used as a guide on the final fixing position. Once glued and left overnight I’m sure many of you will have that feeling of is this going to work when I come back to this? Fortunately it did :-)

Again for a first time I was pleased with the results but it certainly not for anyone without patience and a problem solving attitude..

IMG_0708.jpg
IMG_0708.jpg (94.73 KiB) Viewed 348 times

Engine

I thought long and hard over the engine choice and against some advice (The bullet proof Quadra lovers) I elected for a Saito 40cc Petrol. This was installed on a metal bearer from which I attached the ballast. Don’t ask me how much lead I used, the simple answer is enough to get the CG correct as per plan...

IMG_1137.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG (507.63 KiB) Viewed 348 times

Dry Fit

Putting your new model together for the first time is very rewarding.. enough said.

IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1131.JPG (509.17 KiB) Viewed 348 times

Part 3 tomorrow..

Mike Whitehead

Postby Mike Whitehead » March 14th, 2024, 8:56 pm

Part 3

I forgot to add, to aid transportation I made the tailplane detachable you can see in the picture below.

IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1130.JPG (121.12 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Finishing

I aimed to keep a theme going on the colour scheme which was to replicate an aircraft operated near my home city and therefore within the Manchester location.
A little research provided an ideal candidate;

RUM Chipmunk JPEG.jpg
RUM Chipmunk JPEG.jpg (189.72 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Aircraft History

Delivered on 7 February 1951 Chipmunk TMk10 Serial Number C1/0265 was given the Military registration number WD327 and allocated to Manchester University Air Squadron (UAS) at RAF Ringway (now Manchester Airport).
The Chipmunks replaced the UAS’s Tiger Moths in 1951 just prior to a move to Barton Aerodrome until moving to RAF Woodvale in 1953. On joining the UAS in 1951, WD327 was allocated the code RUM-C, with RUM being the code assigned to Manchester UAS. It was commonly known as “Rum and Coke” amongst staff and students at the time.

The “R” codes were a distinguishing mark showing the aircraft was a part of Reserve Command and when this became Home Command in August 1950 the codes were slowly phased out during 1951.
WD327 remained as “C” on the UAS as can be seen below in this picture at RAF Ringway in 1953.

Common to the time, the aircraft was painted silver with yellow bands. WD327 continued to be used by the RAF’s Manchester UAS until it was written off in an accident on 29 September 1958. WD327 was struck off charge on 30 Oct 1958 at No.60 Maintenance Unit (MU) at RAF Rufforth.

The two pics are all I had to go on but were enough to provide scheme and get a set of paint masks that with the help of Nigel at Flightline Graphics.

IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg (173.21 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Riveting

The Fuselage went back to Dave for the hundreds of rivets to be applied, again a sterling job.
The paint used for the airframe was silver Basecoat.

IMG_1416.jpg
IMG_1416.jpg (106.1 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Spraying

Following the silver Basecoat, all other details were applied with Enamel paints such as the Roundels and Wing Stripe and letters. Loads of masking off required, with the inevitable overspray in places...

IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1453.jpg (103.29 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Rub on stencils were applied for the small lettering, remember the battery hatch.

IMG_1479.jpg
IMG_1479.jpg (107.68 KiB) Viewed 308 times

LMA Cosford Static Event

I displayed the model back in April 2023 at the LMA Cosford show.

DSC00905.JPG
DSC00905.JPG (314.17 KiB) Viewed 308 times

DSC00911.JPG
DSC00911.JPG (303.84 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Whilst I didn’t think I’d ever make the front cover of an LMA journal....
I did make the RCM&E back in August last year when they published and article on the LMA Cosford show. - Result :-)

IMG_3768.JPG
IMG_3768.JPG (75.91 KiB) Viewed 308 times

First Flight

I flew the Chippy in July 2023 for the first time and whilst the handling went as easy as I could have imagined the engine suffered from significant overheating. Back to the drawing board with the cowl.
This turned out to be an easy fix with a front air scoop baffle and an unfortunate hole in the underside to allow a smooth airflow. This did the trick with the next test flights being more successful.
Unfortunately that was the last time the aircraft flew primarily due to poor weather for the rest of 2023.

0106dc74-cb4e-4b35-bbd3-fdfca2370bd5.jpg
0106dc74-cb4e-4b35-bbd3-fdfca2370bd5.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Hopefully I’ll be out again this year with an opportunity to fly at Sleap and Elvington, +++ fingers crossed...
It was a great aircraft to build and very rewarding after all those hours of hard work, I'm looking forward to many hours of flying the model to come.

That's It..
Hopefully, those who’ve lasted the course have enjoyed my ‘short’ build thread, lets see if I’ve prompted anyone else to have a go....
Last edited by Mike Whitehead on March 25th, 2024, 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mike Whitehead

Postby Mike Whitehead » March 14th, 2024, 8:58 pm

Thanks for the comments Stuart

Yes I'm glad to be in the 'Chippy Club'

Return to “Your New Projects”