Simple to build first project

Why not share your information on your latest creation
mikecastle

Simple to build first project

Postby mikecastle » December 11th, 2016, 4:11 pm

I have never built a large model before, and wondered where is a good place to start? I wanted to build something simple to start with to gain confidence, would anyone be able to give me some help? Since the first large model will probably end in disaster, I wanted to build a smaller first model, and then scale it up for a second version. I would appreciate any guidance, could someone pass on their knowledge, I'm in the South East, and can travel along the M4 to show someone my progress. Mike

Steve Perry

Re: Simple to build first project

Postby Steve Perry » December 11th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Just checking some basics, can you already fly r/c ?

Have you built an aircraft from a kit or plan before ?

Mike Ellis

Postby Mike Ellis » December 11th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Something like a Greenley would a easy first largish model, the plans are avaliable from John Greenfield off this site,also a Rawle " Partnership" would be a decent model to start with. Both models are High Wing monoplanes , and take a wide variety of different size motors .
Of course there are quite a lot of similar models, so really talk to a more experienced modeller and see what they suggest.
I hope this is helpful to you.

Mike Ellis. LMA. 652

sean smith

Postby sean smith » December 11th, 2016, 8:16 pm

As mike says the Greenley or Lowley models are both good fliers and simple to build. My lowley is a lovely flying model and if you have low wing experience don't let the size put you off.
Where in the South East are you?

mikecastle

Postby mikecastle » December 11th, 2016, 9:13 pm

Thanks for the pointers. Yes, I have some experience and passed the A test many years back, and have built trainers from a kit, I've never built from a plan. Mike

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » December 11th, 2016, 11:25 pm

Have a look at The Graduate that PropGuy sells -- Aimed at the novice builder and intermediate flyer. Built around our EME 35 but can use any equivalent petrol, glow or electric setup. http://www.propguy.co.uk/shop/the-graduate-build-kit/

84 inch 2 piece wing with build documentation and designed to take bumpy landings might fit the bill for you.

If you want to try building something smaller from a plan then have a look at the plan packs that D B Sport & Scale sell http://www.dbsportandscale.com/plans-and-plan-packs-597-c.asp

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » December 12th, 2016, 9:20 am

Or you could build the current LMA Trainer the Sky-120 from Slec.

Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (164.04 KiB) Viewed 5337 times

Return to “Your New Projects”