1\4 scale Dauntless

Why not share your information on your latest creation
frank fearn

1\4 scale Dauntless

Postby frank fearn » April 18th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Im currently gathering the parts to put a quarter scale Douglas Dauntless together which will be over the weight threshold so will be registered prior to commencing the build, which will be a new venture for me. Prior to this, I have a Dave Clarke third scale SE5a to build so no mad rush. As a small project, the 30 and 50 cal Dauntless weaponary as commenced, not a patch on the CAD stuff, but hand built. To date, most of the construction is simply recycled ali.....
Attachments
WIN_20180418_210244.JPG
WIN_20180418_210244.JPG (474.45 KiB) Viewed 5409 times
WIN_20180418_210314.JPG
WIN_20180418_210314.JPG (248.42 KiB) Viewed 5409 times

david clarke

Re: 1\4 scale Dauntless

Postby david clarke » April 18th, 2018, 10:05 pm

They look fantastic Frank,you should be building a lewis and a Vickers for the Se5..... :lol:

Phil Clark

Postby Phil Clark » April 22nd, 2018, 8:47 pm

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one Frank.......VERY nice so far.

Phil

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » April 25th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Absolutely beautiful job. Very impressive indeed. Not sure I agree with you about CAD/3d printed stuff being superior, yours will have a "heft" that certainly mine lack, and scratch-built is always really nice to see. If you wish, I could adapt my drawings to give you some small 3d printed features such as fire-safe switch panels. Depends if your intention is to paint them or leave them as bare metal. The other item I can help with is 3d printed belted ammunition, but I'd need to know the length of the rounds. I still have a small "nest" of 3d parts being compiled at the moment, so could bundle them in with that and let you have them at cost. It's a moments work to change the scale, so easily done if you'd like some.

frank fearn

Postby frank fearn » April 26th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Thank you Gents.

The printed belt amo sounds promising Tim so I will take a few measures and come back to you. Plenty of pop cans left so i intend to manufacture fire switches etc. Weight is no issue as all the balsa blocking has been "burnt out" and I was intending to paint them but ill see our they look once fitted and fully dressed,

Regards,

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » April 27th, 2018, 1:47 am

Righto. My ammo is done for the British interconnecting metal 3 loop links, (pic on other thread) so if you need something different I'll need some pictures to work from and the dimensions of the model round. Attached is a picture of my belted ammunition connected into the belt, painted, and the little "string-jig" I made to airbrush them. They look much better in natural light, the flash didn't do the appearance any favours.

I should emphasise that mine was designed to only be visible from one direction and that as it was within the usual RAF turret feed-chutes, and therefore it is meant to be flexible only for just long enough to be glued into a rigid structure within the chute. There's little or no inherent strength in the unsupported/unglued belt, so this might want a bit of thought. I'm unfamiliar with the Dauntless turrets. Happy to explore this with you though, in case it's of use.

rory=painting jig.jpg
rory=painting jig.jpg (64.1 KiB) Viewed 5085 times

Return to “Your New Projects”