Programmable servos

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
David Jones

Programmable servos

Postby David Jones » July 22nd, 2013, 3:45 pm

Can anybody tell or show me how to use the Hitec HPP-21 Plus programmer. I have Hitec HS-5665MH servos fitted in my DC3 and I need to program the servos for the flaps. The 4 flaps are operated as 2 pairs on Y leads, inboard and outboard, 2 servos will have to be reversed and all four will want "tuning in" to one another to produce the same amount of travel. I can alter the direction of travel with the programmer, and reset to factory settings, but thats about it. I've downloaded the software program and have tried using it in conjunction with my PC both on and off line but with no joy.
The plan is to take the model to Elvington and have the test flights done there so, unless somebody can explain how to use the programmer in more simple English than the instruction manual, will anybody be going to the Elvington do who can show me how to do it there. Hoping for some positive feedback on this one. Jonesey.

John McNamara

Re: Programmable servos

Postby John McNamara » July 27th, 2013, 8:15 am

Hi David,
firstly are you quite sure that you can program that series of servos with that particular programmer? I had to buy the HFP-25 in order to reprogram some 9xxx series servos. Pehaps you need this for the 5xxx series servos too?
I may be able to help but I no longer have the older style programmer, and I fear the two may differ in the program layout.
Regards,

John

David Jones

Postby David Jones » July 27th, 2013, 9:20 am

Thanks for that John, I'll look into it. Jonesey

John Rickett

Postby John Rickett » July 27th, 2013, 12:26 pm

David,

I have one of the older HFP-20 servo programmers; this will certainly programme the 5xxx series so I would expect yours to do the same.

The functions you will require are End Point (this function also sets the centre point) and Dead Band. If you can, connect each servo in turn to the flap and using the centre and end points drive the flap to the limits you require. After that connect both servos and, assuming the centre points are just about in the same position, progressively increase the Dead Band of one of them until the servos stop buzzing, this prevents them from fighting each other.

David Jones

Postby David Jones » July 28th, 2013, 8:33 am

Hi John (Rickett). The programmer I have access to is the HPP-21 which, I fear, may not be compatible with the 5xxx series servos ( I cant get a definitive answer on that one). it can be used at the field for some basic jobs, otherwise it has to be used in conjunction with a lap top. I've made some enquiries and found the new HFP25 will definately programm my servos, and that its a fully self contained unit with a digital readout. I'll have another go with the programmer I have, (not looked at the dead band function so far) and see if that makes any difference. Thanks for your input, Jonesey.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » July 28th, 2013, 9:39 am

Dave, wonder if a JR matchbox would do the job, anyone any views on these units?

David Brown

Postby David Brown » July 28th, 2013, 5:42 pm

I have used the JR matchboxes on both jets & larger warbirds and find them very usefull, my vamp runs all 4 flaps on one and you can add a second power supply to the unit which is a bonus if they are on big flaps like the DC-3 has. My DC-3 is on the large 22-12 Weatronic so no probs there. Just a question if you are on two receivers as in over 20kg can you put all flaps on one receiver ? again with Weatronic I don't have this problem.

Dave

Mike altham

Postby Mike altham » July 28th, 2013, 7:41 pm

When doing my large aero stuff with 4 servos in line on the rudder it does take a while to get them spot on.

I will sort a night this week for you to pop round and I will do them for you.

Mike

John Rickett

Postby John Rickett » July 28th, 2013, 7:44 pm

David,
If you are using a Weatronic receiver, you will have no need to programme the Hitec servos or use a Matchbox, if each flap servo is taken from an individual output from the receiver (no y-leads) [and with 22 outputs this shouldn't be a problem] you can do all the matching in the receiver programming. I would suggest reading 'single servo grouping' in the instruction manual. The Weatronic way of doing it is to have a master servo and any number of slaves, the beauty is that the slaves can be synchronsied to the master over their entire travel whereas the Hitec system will only match the centre and end points, this may not be a concern if the control horn geometries are the same, but if they are different the Weatronic programming can overcome it. This certainly saves fitting more airborne boxes to go wrong!

David Brown

Postby David Brown » July 29th, 2013, 5:57 am

John, I agree with you if you are using the 22-12 type but on my smaller Vampire you can not realistically fit one so the matchbox is like an add on to the smaller receivers (12 max outputs I only had a 10 spare and needed 13) where I need more servo outputs without using Y leads. I have never used a programmable servo's or a servo programmer to date but they sound very useful for those systems that need them.

Dave

David Jones

Postby David Jones » July 29th, 2013, 9:57 am

I'm using 2 x 9ch JR receivers in the model. The 4 flaps, though all on the same channel, are split into two pairs, the inboards on one rx and the outboards on the other. I am therefore using two Y leads. I must confess that I should read the packaging on the servo boxes, it states quite clearly that the programmer I have, the HPP 21 plus, will definately work on the 5xxx series servos, so the problem is obviously with me. Mike is going to help me out during this week, in the meantime I'm going to have another go and play with the "Dead Band" and see what that throws up, at least I can re set the servos to factory default if I mess up.
As far as going via a Matchbox or Weatronic receiver, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible so there will be less to go wrong, but I shall certainly bear them in mind if we think the programmer is not the way forward. At the end of the day the model is only going to be doing flat circuits and eights so it doesn't need to be all that technical. I'll keep you posted with any progress. Watch this space. Jonesey.

David Jones

Postby David Jones » August 4th, 2013, 10:26 am

Well, we've finally got there, of sorts. Mike Altham came round and even he had trouble trying to use the programmer which does work on the 5xxx series servos. We seam to think it may be a dodgy unit and, before I fork out £60 on the newer version, I'd like to see one in use. As it is we've mixed the flaps on two channels now and have been able to set them up mechanically, (I've a couple of Matchboxes on order so I'll see if I can get that final tweak of perfection). With a travel speed of 3 seconds to full deployment, they do look quite impressive. We'll see how they fare at Elvington when the model is test flown for the first time. Jonesey.

John Rickett

Postby John Rickett » August 5th, 2013, 6:15 am

David,

I have the older HPF-20 programmer, which I can bring to Elvington for you to have a play if you wish. I will be there throughout the show period.

David Jones

Postby David Jones » August 6th, 2013, 9:58 am

Hi John, yes, I'd appreciate it if you would bring your programmer to Elvington so we could see how it should work, I've fitted two JR Matchboxes now and the flaps are dead on and the servos are a lot quieter. I found these units very user friendly which I'm sure the programmer should be. We are due to be there on Thursday night with the test flights scheduled for Friday. Dave Jones.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » August 6th, 2013, 4:33 pm

its still my bet the unit is faulty, :? would be, its mine, ho hum

David Jones

Postby David Jones » August 14th, 2013, 11:13 am

To finish this thread, the programmer supplied to me by Alan is, more than likely, faulty. I used one supplied to me by John Rickett at Elvington and that worked perfectly and was very easy to use. Thanks to everyone who contributed, the problem is now solved. Dave Jones.

Return to “Technical Help required”