Workshop Planning

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Jonathan Pelham

Workshop Planning

Postby Jonathan Pelham » January 8th, 2016, 11:02 am

I'm starting to plan a workshop to have a proper place to lay up wings and build models.
Previously I've just done it in the house and i'm looking forward to having a dedicated space for building.

Does anyone have any advice for layout or structure?
It will be about 4m by 8m

Currently i'm planning a long bench along part of one wall where I can assemble wings and keep them straight.
Similar to the EAA 1000 workbench approach i'm going to have some small benches(possibly with flip down castors.) So I can get everything nice and level.
http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/work ... rktabl.htm
No Fault Found - I couldn't find the fault that caused your problem. That either means there isn't a fault or my diagnostics have problems...

Steve Mansell

Re: Workshop Planning

Postby Steve Mansell » January 8th, 2016, 11:22 am

when I did my workshop, one thing I wish I had done was to have a building surface in the middle, so I could gain access all the way round without turning the structure round (especially if it was being jig built). If it's big enough, a seperate partitioned area for spraying/painting will is handy, as it is tempting to spray small items inside if the weathers bad, but everything else gets a fine mist of paint as well as it settles out of the air!

A tunnel to the local pub from the workshop would have been handy as well.
Cheers
Steve

Jonathan Pelham

Postby Jonathan Pelham » January 8th, 2016, 1:23 pm

I've also admired some jig systems previously. Especially the magnetic one done by airfield models.
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/informati ... /index.htm

Does anyone have particular thoughts about their layout and how it makes it easier or more difficult to jig up a wing, airframe, or empennage section.
No Fault Found - I couldn't find the fault that caused your problem. That either means there isn't a fault or my diagnostics have problems...

ChrisBerry

Postby ChrisBerry » January 8th, 2016, 7:11 pm

I'd go for concrete block or celcon, insulated with foam and clad with ply. If you want storage and building then you may want to create a partition or separate area. I'd also put in a decent DPC and foam insulated floor with skim. Include a couple of air bricks for ventilation.

It sounds like a daunting project to do all that, but it soon comes together and is both secure, strong and damp proof.

If it were me I wouldn't have any windows and a i'd have a decent door with key locks.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 8th, 2016, 7:40 pm

deffo put bench in the middle. Worst thing is not being able to get to the other side. If you can go to those lengths, a brick built single skin, with pitched roof, insulation to walls and a floating, insulated floor is preferable. Ceiling with led spots.

Jonathan Pelham

Postby Jonathan Pelham » January 9th, 2016, 9:20 am

Ok so definitely a central workbench. Possibly on flip down castors so it's sturdy but can also be moved if needed.

Any other tips?

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » January 9th, 2016, 9:36 am

Most useful thing I have, if you can find one, is an electric rise and fall bench. Comes up to around four feet, and down to 18". Saves the back massively.

Steve Mansell

Postby Steve Mansell » January 9th, 2016, 3:45 pm

A tape recorder with a recording of you sawing, banging and swearing so the missus thinks your in the workshop when your down the pub. ;)

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » January 10th, 2016, 11:18 am

My central bench is on wheels so that I can move it round, plus move it out of the way when the pub calls me to say my pint has been poured!
Cary

Chris Lane

Postby Chris Lane » January 17th, 2016, 3:32 pm

I use an light weight interior door with a panel of fibre board attached to it to take pins. It is stored until needed and then erected on trestles in the centre of the workshop and levelled.

Jonathan Pelham

Postby Jonathan Pelham » January 18th, 2016, 10:05 am

Being able to raise and lower the work surface sounds very useful.

Has anyone tried using a structural jig for assembly? If so was it worthwhile and was it one which allowed the fuselage or wing to be rotated about its long axis? I can see that being very useful if in a rigid jig to allow fit up and covering.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”