resin covering with glass cloth

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Andy ward

resin covering with glass cloth

Postby Andy ward » May 3rd, 2016, 4:54 pm

Ok people I keep hearing of pond resin as an alternative to epoxy resin What is it people are talking about and where do you bye it ?

Tony Collins 1073

Re: resin covering with glass cloth

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » May 3rd, 2016, 8:05 pm

Hi Andy.what you are referring to is commonly known as G4 pond sealer and is a popular and very effective alternative to
Glass resin. I believe that John Greenfield has used this a fair bit, so it must be successful.
Here is a link for G4 on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... er&_sop=15

Tony.

David Jones

Postby David Jones » May 4th, 2016, 8:48 am

Hi Andy, our crew have just covered four models with G4 Pond Sealer, we won't be using it again. I know people have used it with success and will readily recommend it, it does have a lot of plus points, especially regarding cost and quick curing time. However, the down side, especially for me, was I didn't get as good a finish as I have with epoxy resin, and I got a load of ear ache because of the smell. My garage / workshop is attached to the house, and the odour from the pond sealer permeated everywhere for days, which didn't go down well with the wife. Just my two penneth worth. Good luck, Jonesey.

Andy ward

Postby Andy ward » May 4th, 2016, 8:15 pm

Thanks for the replies guys im build the 17 foot lanacster and looking into covering options at the moment Definate plus and minus points

Andy ward

Postby Andy ward » May 4th, 2016, 8:15 pm

Thanks for the replies guys im building the 17 foot lanacster and looking into covering options at the moment Definate plus and minus points

Steve Rickett 2333

Postby Steve Rickett 2333 » May 5th, 2016, 6:02 am

Andy,

My P47 Thunderbolt was finished in G4 (in 2002!)

I admit that I don't use it anymore as it took so many coats (about 7-8) to get a good finish. However, it does dry quick and you can get a few coats on everyday. A light rub down every 2-3 coats helps get a good finish. The surface has lasted well over 14 yrs and is easy to repair (with G4 or fiberglass).

Personally I found that it was cheaper, but took more work and time to apply that epoxy resin. The finished result was just as good though.

I hope this helps a little,

Steve

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » May 5th, 2016, 7:25 am

Steve

Interested to hear that you needed 7 0r 8 coats to get a finish. did you try to thin it ?
I only use 2 coats, one very light one to put the cloth on and a second to fill the weave also put on very sparingly. After it is dry I check the surface under a strong light for and dry patches and if I find any I give them another light coat. I then give it a light sand and it is ready for paint.
Do remember that as with any finishing, you need a good surface before applying the cloth, You cant build up to a good finish !

Dave
Interested that you had a smell problem. The reason I introduced G4 is that it does not smell very much!!! and I hate the smell of epoxy !

Oh well, just proves that no one solution suits everyone.

John

Steve Rickett 2333

Postby Steve Rickett 2333 » May 5th, 2016, 2:32 pm

Hi John,

No thinning, it was like water straight out the tin. Maybe we used different stuff? I don't recall any smell, and it worked easily enough and gave a nice durable finish in the end. Maybe I used the wrong stuff. I got it from a pond supplies company in Aberden and IIRC it came in a blue gallon tin can (nothing smaller at the time.) Two coats certainly would convince me to try it again.

I think B&Q sell it now in smaller tins?

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » May 6th, 2016, 7:44 am

Steve
There are various "pond sealer" products on the market and even Bondaglass, who make G4 also make other similar products BUT, in my experience only genuine Bondaglass G4 works for our application. I never buy mine in more than 1 litre tins as that amount is more than enough to finish a very large model. It also has a shelf life once opened and will go off in the tin within 3 months or so of first opening.

John

richard armstrong

Postby richard armstrong » May 8th, 2016, 4:59 pm

John Greenfield wrote:Steve
did you try to thin it ?
I only use 2 coats, one very light one to put the cloth on and a second to fill the weave also put on very sparingly. After it is dry I check the surface under a strong light for and dry patches and if I find any I give them another light coat. I then give it a light sand and it is ready for paint.

John

john what would you thin with ?
Richard "the rocket" Armstrong

"Fly me to the moon" then crash and burn BABY!

John Greenfield

Postby John Greenfield » May 9th, 2016, 3:40 pm

Richard
Bondaglass make a special thinners especially for it but only for use in specific (non modelling) applications.
Brushes can be cleaned in cellulose thinners.

John

Return to “General Discussion Topics”