What RC 2.4gHz system?

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Chris Lane

What RC 2.4gHz system?

Postby Chris Lane » October 19th, 2016, 4:05 pm

This topic has been aired a number of times. I am now getting long in the tooth and still have the gear I have had for years since changing from 35mHz. I have found my Futaba 6EXH FASST with R617RS receivers and Futaba servos entirely reliable. For me it's about designing and building models and flying them by remote control - I do not need smart computer mixing etc. I have discovered FrySky and modified my oldest 6EXH transmitter to this and It works fine but I do not feel entirely comfortable with it so I keep it for the small electric models. (I suffer from brand loyalty.)

Does FAAST still meet the necessary standards of safety as I get comments at the flying field when I produce my "old" transmitters. If not what will meet the standard for a basic set-up with 7 channels and can I use my Futaba and Hitec servos?

Chris

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Re: What RC 2.4gHz system?

Postby Dave Parry » October 19th, 2016, 7:20 pm

I still use my 6EXH with R617RS receivers never had a days problem with it form new. there is nothing wrong with that set up and I would argue the case with anybody that tells me otherwise, it is still legal to use which is good enough for me.

Steve McDonald

Postby Steve McDonald » October 20th, 2016, 7:40 am

I use Multiplex now but used Spectrum/JR DSM2 for years without a problem. You will hear disparaging comments about virtually any radio you care to mention, causing crashes etc. However, a lot of the time it is down to the installation of the Rx not being as per manufacturers recommendations. If you have found your Futaba reliable then why change?

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » October 20th, 2016, 9:23 am

I've been using FrSky gear for the last few years in a wide range of models from small electric to large petrol and found it completely reliable. My transmitter is a MPX Royal Evo 12 converted to FR Sky with an internal hard wired 'hack' module and telemetry screen installed. After being a Futaba user since the M series in the 70's up to the FF9, I found that the software in the MPX radio was a revelation (in a good way), so much more flexible and easy to set up. It marked the end of my fixation with Futaba even though it had served me well.

The DX8 receivers have been faultless and gives me on board battery voltage monitoring. I haven't found a need for additional telemetry as yet but the option is there. There is a huge range of Fr Sky receivers for all purposes. Apart from non users saying 'Can they be any good at that price?' I can't think that I have seen ANY critical comments about FR sky receivers anywhere.

I am finding that I could frequently do with more than 8 channels now. This cannot be accommodated with the hack module so a change of TX is on the cards but it will undoubtedly be from the Fr Sky stable.

TBH though, I tend to think that you would have to work hard to find a bad radio today. Poor installation however is not so uncommon.
Last edited by stuart knowles 1611 on October 20th, 2016, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » October 20th, 2016, 11:01 am

I would have to agree with you Stuart, I always fined the first thing anyone blames is there radio gear when a plane goes in. I always tend to look at me first and was it my fault before blaming anything else. I usually find 9 times out of ten that the fault was with me. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often, but I think even the best pilot can make a mistake, to blame the radio gear to save face is wrong as you are giving a false impression of the radio equipment in question to other people who might be tempted to change over to something else due to false information.

chris-berry

Postby chris-berry » October 21st, 2016, 11:16 pm

Still using a JR 9X 35MHZ with r770 synth and xtal receivers. They've never missed a beat in 15 years. I'm also using Spektrum dx8 and 9 with Spektrum receivers, equally as good as the JR 35 stuff. All powered by 4.8 and 6v nimhs and either Jr or hitec servos.
If it ain't broke!

Return to “General Discussion Topics”