EASA Rules On ‘Drones’ – Your Response Needed

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Rob Buckley

EASA Rules On ‘Drones’ – Your Response Needed

Postby Rob Buckley » May 14th, 2017, 7:46 am

As you may or may not have seen, EASA have published an updated set or proposed rules for the operation of ‘Drones’ (which will include model aircraft)-

‘NPA 2017-05 Introduction of a regulatory framework for the operation of drones — Unmanned aircraft system operations in the open and specific category’

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/notices-of-proposed-amendment/npa-2017-05

The period for submitting comments to this NPA is from 12 May to 12 August. I shall be submitting a response on behalf of the LMA, but I would encourage all of you to read all 128 pages and submit a response too.

As a note, when EASA say ‘Model clubs and associations’, the UK CAA are reading this as existing national associations with a track record, the LMA, BMFA, SAA & FPVUK. Little Whinging MFC does not count, nor will starting a new gang to try and get round it all!

As with other consultations & proposals, I’m not creating any ‘stock’ responses, your thoughts are what matter rather than a thousand identical responses. When responding, please be polite! As irritating as this is to us all, rude emails to the people who have been given the job of doing this don’t help.

Any questions, please let me know and I’ll do what I can.

Thanks very much

Rob Buckley
Secretary - Large Model Association
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

chris-berry

Re: EASA Rules On ‘Drones’ – Your Response Needed

Postby chris-berry » July 2nd, 2017, 8:13 pm

Now extended until the 15th September, EASA say this is due to the importance of the issue.

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » December 4th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Emergent Tech
Drone collisions with airliners may not be fatal, US study suggests
And UK Department for Transport faces questions over scary rival study
By Gareth Corfield 4 Dec 2017 at 12:27
67 Reg comments SHARE ▼

Updated A ground-breaking US study has shown that while drone collisions do pose a threat to airliners, the odds of a collision causing a crash are much lower than a rival British government study claimed.

The American Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)’s drone research divison, Assure, conducted a study into the effects of drones colliding with commercial aircraft. Public concern over potential collisions is high, even though only two have ever been recorded across the world.*

Computer simulations carried out by Assure found that a 1.2kg quadcopter striking the windscreen of a commercial jet airliner travelling at 250 knots simply bounced off, leaving a few marks or chips on the windscreen.

Full article http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/04/airliner_drone_collision_study_assure/

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » December 4th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Interesting study, and good to see some more information of the results than the UK study report.

It's good to know that our government has our 'security' at heart though, as do the UK study's co-funders, a trade union & political pressure group.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » December 5th, 2017, 10:01 am

Windscreens are fine, They are designed to deflect. How about engines? If flesh and feathers can do this, what would a lump of metal and plastic do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXnl0lBT6k8

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » December 5th, 2017, 9:38 pm

It would break it, and cost a fortune.

That's why airliners have at least 2 engines, well trained crews, fan cowls to hold the liberated chunks of fan blade in and the rest of the aircraft is designed to survive the vibration of the out of balance broken engine and other such good stuff.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » December 6th, 2017, 8:40 am

:twisted: It would certainly mess the seats up, too..... :lol:

Return to “General Discussion Topics”