HITEC 225MG Servo fault

Post here for general queries or anything radio related.
robindhart

HITEC 225MG Servo fault

Postby robindhart » March 25th, 2018, 11:19 am

I have been a keen user of Hitec servos but I have now had three MG225 develop a worrying fault. From new, out of the box, connected up for the first time, on three different models, the servo cycles from end to end. It might settle after a few seconds and appear OK but! I have switched my Tx to the servo monitor and then switched on the model and there is no sign that it is being transmitted. Servos were bought from various suppliers and the QC stickers on them are different colours so don't think they could have all come from the same batch. Any one else had this problem??

Bob Thompson1894

Re: HITEC 225MG Servo fault

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » March 25th, 2018, 5:32 pm

I have heard of a number of Hitecs doing this lately. The most reliable servos ever now appear to be losing their title. Mate has had two 645mgs do the same thing. Also seen this same fault reported on Facebook.

Dave Collis 2296

Postby Dave Collis 2296 » March 26th, 2018, 4:57 am

I've also had some recently purchased 645's buzz and twitch when the radio is switched on.
Never had any issues with the older ones and I must have at least 60 of them.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » March 26th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Is it something the servo does once and once only, the first time it is ever powered up, or does the servo do it every time its turned on?
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » March 26th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Two brand new out of the box 645s just went to one end and died. Being replaced, but this is worrying.

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » March 26th, 2018, 10:45 pm

I have only encountered a hitec servo failure once. This servo was drawing over 1 amp off load and getting warm. On comparing this servo with another which was perfectly ok I found several differences, the Hitec label on the top had no clear film covering it, there was no oval sticky label on one end to show it had been factory checked and the disposal logo on the base, a dustbin crossed out, was not there. This was bought from a reputable supplier who said it came from the well known British importer. It seems this servo was a chinese clone which had come in with an order unbeknown to the importer. The importer checked his complete stock for similar servos but could not find any more. Suggest you check your servo for similar anomalies against a known good one.
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Dave Collis 2296

Postby Dave Collis 2296 » March 26th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Rob Buckley wrote:Is it something the servo does once and once only, the first time it is ever powered up, or does the servo do it every time its turned on?

The servos I have that twitch, do it every time. I sent them off the a Hitec repair facility..haven't heard back from them yet.

robindhart

Postby robindhart » March 27th, 2018, 10:29 am

Many thanks for all the replies chaps. Re Rob B's question. It may do it once and then be OK for for a few switch on/off's and then do it again. I noticed that they sometimes hover about the center before settling down. I have replaced them when I found them faulty, usually on the workbench, new out of the box, on set up, and have not had any problems with the new one. Glad it's not "just me" but wouldn't want one to kick off in the air!! Regards to all.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » March 29th, 2018, 8:12 am

Hmm, a one off could plausibly be a calibration thing in firmware, but randomly sweeping on power-on, and bouncing around center sounds more like they're knackered!
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

robindhart

Postby robindhart » March 29th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Hi Rob,
Probably right. I have to hope they are really as the option is the tx. The upside is lots of spare gears for MG225's though.
Robin

Return to “Radio Equipment”