John Townsend RIP

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
DAVE JOHNSON

John Townsend RIP

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » August 14th, 2018, 11:22 am

As most who attended Elvington will know----Saturday saw another LMA long time member pass away----John was a long serving committee and safety officer ---he was in recent years a member of the Board of Gaurdians and only a week or so back was in discussions with us at Cosford on the LMA future. John was best known for flying his beloved 1/2 scale Magister around the UK shows for as many years as I can remember---and he passed away doing what he loved best--flying the Magister----he will be sadly missed by us all.

Stuart Mackay

Re: John Townsend RIP

Postby Stuart Mackay » August 14th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Very sad news indeed, John was a one-of-a-kind and I feel privileged to have known, learnt from him over many years and always enjoyed his dry Northern wit. John will be fondly remembered.
Our deepest condolences to Simon and the Family.
http://www.moki.co.uk telephone 07785 926158

paul hughes

Postby paul hughes » August 14th, 2018, 1:51 pm

So sorry to hear this terrible news, John was a great builder who loved his models, one of my favorite memories of him was seeing his lovely Miles Magister flying along side the full size aircraft it was modeled on. R.I.P John

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » August 14th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Just a quick note, I have been asked to be the liason after I have posted details of the funeral. At the moment we would ask all to give the family time to adjust to this terrible news. I will update as and when I have any further details. Thanks for your patience.

Richie Robinson

Postby Richie Robinson » August 14th, 2018, 2:06 pm

A great loss to our hobby. John was a great friend and we had some real fun times together especially when he was at the Woodvale Rally which he supported every year. He will be sorely missed by all of his mates at the Liverpool club.

andy johnson

Postby andy johnson » August 14th, 2018, 2:41 pm

I was only joking with John 10 minutes before his flight , I will miss him from the LMA shows where we always had a laugh , I would also like to say well done to Simon who managed to hold himself together in very difficult circumstances and land johns Magister safely . My thoughts go to Simon and the family at this sad time .

Phil Clark

Postby Phil Clark » August 14th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Sad news, condolences to Simon & the rest of the family. Having only recently completed the final inspection on John's stunning Mr. Mulligan, I truly hope it's possible at some point in the future that someone may take this superb model on & fly it in John's memory.

Phil

roy palin

Postby roy palin » August 14th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Sad news , condolences to Johns family. And a big thankyou to the medics who worked to help John on the day.

Phil Robertshaw

Postby Phil Robertshaw » August 15th, 2018, 10:11 am

John and I always had great banter between ourselves, even as he walked into the pilots box we where still joking and having a laugh. He will be sadly missed by all who new him, he was a great guy with a great sense of humour. My thoughts go out to Simon and all his family at this sad time. RIP John

IAN TURNEY-WHITE

Postby IAN TURNEY-WHITE » August 15th, 2018, 11:43 am

My friendship with John spans 30 years , on the LMA Committee and Board of Guardians and I always enjoyed his friendship and humour .
It was a pleasure to share a flying slot for many years at our events with John and his son Simon .
John will be missed by many , our condolences to John,s family , Ian and Doreen Turney-White

BRIAN RAWCLIFFE

Postby BRIAN RAWCLIFFE » August 16th, 2018, 9:07 am

On behalf of myself, Tony, Paul, and the Yorkshire gang. Thank you John for entertaining us over the last few years with your magnificent 1/2 scale Magister, as Paul H commented in a previous post, flying with the full size at Cosford has to be the ultimate modelling experience, and we were privileged to be there. Our thoughts go out to Simon and all his family. RIP John.
Last edited by BRIAN RAWCLIFFE on August 16th, 2018, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » August 16th, 2018, 11:13 am

I live at the opposite end of the UK to John but have known him for around 30 years and have only met up on LMA meetings and events. With the both of us being very involved in the running of the Association over the years you become good mates and it is very sad to lose a 'mate', we will miss you. Our thoughts are with Simon and John's family. Dave and Sheila
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Vincent Raia

Postby Vincent Raia » September 23rd, 2018, 8:35 am

Hi all, just seen this sad post, every time I occasionally log in, I find one of great stalwarts of the LMA has passed on, only knew John through my involvement with the LMA, and on the show circuit, and the first time I saw his lovely Magister, I was blown away by the authentic ness of it, John was a great engineer and builder, his models a credit to him, loved watching John and Ted Allison flying together, Ted flying his beautiful Harvard. My sincere condolences go out to Simon and his family.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”