2019 Air Navigation order Update - Potentially Important!

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Rob Buckley

2019 Air Navigation order Update - Potentially Important!

Postby Rob Buckley » February 21st, 2019, 3:57 pm

DfT publishes amendments to the Air Navigation Order.

The Department for Transport (DfT) have today published further amendments to the Air Navigation Order which impact on all users of Small Unmanned Aircraft, including the model flying community. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-drone-safety-partnership-with-business-launched-as-government-sets-out-plans-to-limit-drone-misuse

Further details of the amendments can be found in CAP1763 (as the CAA have the unenviable task of implementing the legislation). You can read CAP1763 here: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1763%20New%20UAS%20guidance.pdf

Regrettably, the DfT have put us somewhat on the ‘back foot’ with this due to the speed with which they have introduced the amendment which also includes elements which they had not alerted us to. The changes have been expedited in reaction to incidents involving small unmanned aircraft at Gatwick and Heathrow in the last couple of months.

We have reported previously on the creation of flight restriction zones around protected aerodromes, the concept of which was introduced in the Government Response to the 2018 Consultation on Drones published earlier this year and these zones will come into effect from 13th March 2019. A useful interactive map of the UK has been created by NATS showing the protected aerodromes with the restriction zones superimposed. See https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/ for further details.

CAP1763 states that ‘the flight restriction zone is active at all times and applies to all small unmanned aircraft of any mass (even very small ‘toys’)’. This was a surprising development which would in theory even extend to paper aeroplanes.

If you wish to fly an unmanned aircraft within these restriction zones, then permission will have to be obtained from air traffic control at the aerodrome. The CAA expect such permissions to be based on a ‘constructive dialogue between the modellers/model clubs and the relevant aerodrome’ and formalised in a letter of agreement/memorandum of understanding.

One slight benefit included in this ANO update is that the existing restriction on flying unmanned aircraft over 7kg below 400ft in controlled airspace has now been removed, as the new restrictions apply to all unmanned aircraft up to 20Kg and maintain the 400ft limit for all unmanned aircraft.

We are seeking clarification and answers to a number of questions we have posed to the DfT and CAA on behalf of our members. We hope to receive answers this week and will publish further updates and clarification in due course.

Please contact Rob Buckley at secretary@largemodelassociation.com if you need zany further advice/information/help.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Bob Thompson1894

Re: 2019 Air Navigation order Update - Potentially Important!

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 21st, 2019, 4:05 pm

Basically only affects anyone less than 5km from the ends of runways of these airports Rob?

Detailed information about civil licensed aerodromes published in the UK AIP (including RAF Northolt).

Aerodromes
Aberdeen/Dyce - EGPD
Alderney - EGJA
Andrewsfield - EGSL
Barra - EGPR
Barrow/Walney Island - EGNL
Bedford - EGBF
Belfast/Aldergrove - EGAA
Belfast/City - EGAC
Benbecula - EGPL
Biggin Hill - EGKB
Birmingham - EGBB
Blackbushe - EGLK
Blackpool - EGNH
Bournemouth - EGHH
Bristol - EGGD
Caernarfon - EGCK
Cambridge - EGSC
Campbeltown - EGEC
Cardiff - EGFF
Carlisle - EGNC
Chalgrove - EGLJ
Chichester/Goodwood - EGHR
Coll - EGEL
Colonsay - EGEY
Compton Abbas - EGHA
Coventry - EGBE
Cranfield - EGTC
Cumbernauld - EGPG
Denham - EGLD
Derby - EGBD
Doncaster Sheffield - EGCN
Dundee - EGPN
Dunkeswell - EGTU
Durham Tees Valley - EGNV
Duxford - EGSU
Earls Colne - EGSR
East Midlands - EGNX
Eday - EGED
Edinburgh - EGPH
Elstree - EGTR
Enniskillen/St Angelo - EGAB
Exeter - EGTE
Fair Isle - EGEF
Fairoaks - EGTF
Farnborough - EGLF
Fenland - EGCL
Glasgow - EGPF
Gloucestershire - EGBJ
Guernsey - EGJB
Haverfordwest - EGFE
Hawarden - EGNR
Humberside - EGNJ
Inverness - EGPE
Islay - EGPI
Isle of Man - EGNS
Jersey - EGJJ
Kemble - EGBP
Kirkwall - EGPA
Lands End - EGHC
Lashenden/Headcorn - EGKH
Leeds Bradford - EGNM
Leeds East - EGCM
Lee-on-Solent - EGHF
Leicester - EGBG
Lerwick/Tingwall - EGET
Liverpool - EGGP
London/City - EGLC
London Gatwick - EGKK
London Heathrow - EGLL
London Luton - EGGW
London Stansted - EGSS
Londonderry/Eglinton - EGAE
Lydd - EGMD
Manchester - EGCC
Manchester/Barton - EGCB
Netherthorpe - EGNF
Newcastle - EGNT
Newquay - EGHQ
Newtownards - EGAD
Northampton/Sywell - EGBK
Northolt - EGWU
North Ronaldsay - EGEN
Norwich - EGSH
Nottingham - EGBN
Oban - EGEO
Old Buckenham - EGSV
Old Sarum - EGLS
Old Warden - EGTH
Oxford - EGTK
Papa Westray - EGEP
Pembrey - EGFP
Perth/Scone - EGPT
Peterborough/Conington - EGSF
Prestwick - EGPK
Redhill - EGKR
Retford/Gamston - EGNE
Rochester - EGTO
Sanday - EGES
Sandtoft - EGCF
Scatsta - EGPM
Scilly Isles/St Mary’s - EGHE
Sherburn-in-Elmet - EGCJ
Shobdon - EGBS
Shoreham - EGKA
Sleap - EGCV
Southampton - EGHI
Southend - EGMC
Stapleford - EGSG
Stornoway - EGPO
Stronsay - EGER
Sumburgh - EGPB
Swansea - EGFH
Tatenhill - EGBM
Thruxton - EGHO
Tiree - EGPU
Warton - EGNO
Wellesbourne Mountford - EGBW
Welshpool - EGCW
Westray - EGEW
West Wales/Aberporth - EGFA
White Waltham - EGLM
Wick - EGPC
Wickenby - EGNW
Wolverhampton/Halfpenny Green - EGBO
Wycombe Air Park/Booker - EGTB
Yeovil/Westland - EGHG

stuart knowles 1611

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » February 21st, 2019, 4:38 pm

One slight benefit included in this ANO update is that the existing restriction on flying unmanned aircraft over 7kg below 400ft in controlled airspace has now been removed, as the new restrictions apply to all unmanned aircraft up to 20Kg and maintain the 400ft limit for all unmanned aircraft.

Am I missing something?? How is this a benefit?

paul hughes

Postby paul hughes » February 21st, 2019, 6:04 pm

Looking at the restricted area for Barton aerodrome (M/C). the e/w runway is very close to the LMA site at Glazebury. will this effect the flying at the site?

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 21st, 2019, 6:11 pm

Because today you cannot fly a model over 7kg in anything other than class G airspace without permission of the relevant air traffic control. As of 13 March, models over 7kg can be flown in any airspace that's outside any of the restricted zones, regardless of airspace classification.

SDExample1.png
SDExample1.png (255.27 KiB) Viewed 8451 times

Today, models over 7kg cannot be flown in the big read bit around Birmingham airport without their permission. As of 13 March, it's the smaller area in blue where any models need ATC permission.

DronesafeExample.PNG
DronesafeExample.PNG (251 KiB) Viewed 8451 times

Using the tool in the third 'Dronesafe' link above gives a handy map where all the restricted zones are shown in blue. In theory they are all the same, apart from some which are different. If your flying site is inside a blue bit you need to talk to the relevant air traffic control, if not carry on as before.

It's much easier to look at the map than try and guess from a list in the AIP

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 21st, 2019, 6:15 pm

paul hughes wrote:Looking at the restricted area for Barton aerodrome (M/C). the e/w runway is very close to the LMA site at Glazebury. will this effect the flying at the site?

It's 1.5km away, so not if being able to see the model during flight is a priority!

Steve Mansell

Postby Steve Mansell » February 21st, 2019, 7:57 pm

My neighbour has a homing pigeon loft, and we live slap-bang on the main approach to Biggin Hill. Should I report him as there is a huge risk of an airprox, or even a collision. Any survivors will also be at risk of contracting bird flu.

I'm running out of hobbies that don't incur the wrath of some individual, or being micro managed by "relevant authorities"!

Had these regulations been in place prior to the Gatwick incident, it wouldn't have made any difference, as if there were drones aloft over the airport, those operating them were already in breach of existing legislation.

At least I can fall back on my other hobbies of badger baiting and harpooning dolphins.

Rant over, please delete it not appropriate.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 21st, 2019, 8:14 pm

Throwing a paper plane in Crawley town centre or the westbound car park of Heston Services on the M4 will soon become a criminal offence (contravention of the Air Navigation Order). As we know, laws only apply to the law abiding, and it would remain to be seen how the fun police would react to an act of civil disobedience of a paper place endurance competition in the CAA car park at Gatwick.

It's debatable whether golf balls could be classed as free flight unmanned aircraft (they have the dimples to create aerodynamic lift as they fly), so any golf club within a restricted zone could potentially need ATC permission before every shot.

Steve Mansell

Postby Steve Mansell » February 24th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Rob,
I'm a bit confused. I thought the original changes made a distinction between multi rotor (drone) and typical wing born models and helicopters. I get the impression that all the work that went into drafting the original amendments has been ignored, and the result is a "catch all" grouping of anything of any mass up to 20kg that isn't directly or indirectly in contact with the ground being caught in the net.

I might be wrong, but it looks like mass hysteria being whipped up.

Cheers,
Steve

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 24th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Steve,

No, the rules in the ANO have never differentiated between fixed, rotary or multirotary wing. Everything we fly comes under 'small unmanned aircraft', as do 'drones'.

The CAA permission we got last summer to fly over 400ft applies only to fixed wing & single rotor helicopters which may be what you're thinking of. That still applies outside of restricted zones & is being updated to reflect the latest ANO update.

Steve Mansell

Postby Steve Mansell » February 24th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Many thanks Rob, I'm getting my permissions and regs mixed up.
Steve

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 25th, 2019, 9:06 am

paul hughes wrote:Looking at the restricted area for Barton aerodrome (M/C). the e/w runway is very close to the LMA site at Glazebury. will this effect the flying at the site?

If it is within 5k of the end of a runway then it will be affected.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 25th, 2019, 9:39 am

look at the online map Bob, that shows the actual shape & size of all the zones.

That site is 1.6km from the nearest part of the Barton exclusion zone.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 25th, 2019, 9:58 am

Thanks Rob. And the golf ball fact is worth keeping in mind...

John Higgins

Postby John Higgins » February 25th, 2019, 11:30 am

Hi Rob,
Firstly many thanks for all the good work you are doing.
Our flying site, at Blackpool, is outside the latest limits set by our two local airfields. When I read your email I was dismayed to read that all our models were now to be limited to the 400ft rule rather to just those over 7 Kg - this would kill our thermal glider flying stone dead. However, on reading the feedback on the forum, you seem to imply that, provided that we are outside the exclusion zones, we can fly our models, provided that they are under 20Kg, above the previous 400ft limit. Have I misunderstood?
If our club has to apply to the CAA in order to exceed 400ft can such a permission be granted for an extended period rather than just for a specific event?
I hope that you can provide good news - or suggest where I can sell my fleet of gliders!

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » February 25th, 2019, 12:05 pm

John,

Outside the 'blue' areas in the online map, you can fly models under 7kg as before, with no height limit as an LMA member with the permission we have from the CAA. Models 7-20kg are still limited to 400ft, but can be flown in all classes of airspace as long as outside the blue bit on the map as of 13 March.

in the member's area is a download of the permission to fly models under 7Kg over 400ft, it's being revised at the moment but the content will remain the same.

Return to “General Discussion Topics”