new registration rebellion

This is an area for Off Topic Discussions which includes Tony Collins popular Fun Stuff.
Bob Thompson1894

Re: new registration rebellion

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 4th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Vincent Raia wrote:Dear all,
these days I occasionally go out and fly a modern foamy but haven't flown for three years due to life and weather etc. getting in the way but I am totally aggrieved by this latest proposed legislation, after all, we are all supposed to be big kids going out to play with our toy aeroplanes, and now all of a sudden we're are deemed a public menace and a danger to society!
And yes Bob, it's only £16.50, so was the TV license many years ago, it won't stay that way for long, once you go down the road of paying a fee to the government, as sure as eggs are eggs, it will escalate, and as I have stated on the BMFA FB site, at 73 years of age, do I want to go spending my time writing letters to whoever it may concern, to defend myself and my rights to go out occasionally to fly a bit of foam? Do I heck, like Paul said, it's all too much in the too hard basket.

I pay my fee the the BMFA as one of the governing bodies of our hobby, so I expect them to be getting off their arses and fighting for the hobby, not me, because that is what I was under the impassion I paid them to do, and if it all becomes too much hassle, like getting a gun license and buying a gun, then for me, it will be time to walk away and buy a train set!

its an email in support....you have spent more time and electrons on here moaning that somebody else should do it for you? Hardly 'aggrieved', Vince. By the way, I am 76.

Vincent Raia

Postby Vincent Raia » May 4th, 2019, 7:39 pm

I have now signed an online petition against this new proposed unfair legislation.

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » May 4th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Emails sent to MP, the Baroness and Mr Moriarty ( you couldn’t make it up). On line consultation form filled, politely tell them to go to the LMA, bmfa, etc
Fly ‘til I die...

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 5th, 2019, 8:03 am

Vincent Raia wrote:I have now signed an online petition against this new proposed unfair legislation.
The BMFA has warned against the online petition- its not sanctioned and will simply be ignored. An email to baroness.vere@dft.gov.uk telling her that you are against this pointless fee and the other restrictions will be far more use. Please everyone, flood her inbox with objections. You have to have an answer within 20 days.

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » May 5th, 2019, 8:36 am

Fly ‘til I die...

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 9th, 2019, 7:09 am

From BMFA- I presume the LMA concurs.
*** IMPORTANT REQUEST ***

Good morning. We have a request directly from the BMFA's CEO, Dave Phipps.

Now that the BMFA has been granted a meeting with the new Aviation Minister, Baroness Vere of Norbiton, Dave has asked that the BMFA goes into the meeting knowing that all of our members have emailed Baroness Vere to air their concerns at the CAA's proposal.

The Baroness can be reached via - Baroness.Vere@dft.gov.uk

Please let her have your views about why you reject the proposal. Keep your emails polite but heartfelt, let's show the DfT exactly how the flying community feels and the impact the proposals will have.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » May 9th, 2019, 6:52 pm

I’ve been assured thats theres more than the bmfa sat across the table with this, I wish our negotiators well, credit were its due eh?

Peter Smedley

Postby Peter Smedley » May 9th, 2019, 6:57 pm

C’mon Dave...up the BMFA :D
Fly ‘til I die...

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » May 9th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Yes, just read 'UK Model Associations' where it says 'BMFA'!

The message is the same though, if you've not already responded to the consultation, emailed Baroness Vere, your MP & the CEO of the CAA pelase do.

Several have asked for a template letter to make the job easier. We have deliberately not done this, as 'form' letters are basically ignored as spam.

Don't think you have to write a long letter correctly pointing out the facts. Just write down what you think (politely) and send. Genuine individual concerns are far more valuable than a form letter of all the referenced policy & legislation.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 9th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Of course, thats why I wrote "From BMFA- I presume the LMA concurs."
Please send emails, and cajole your club members in to this too. More emails, the bigger the protest.

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » May 10th, 2019, 11:22 am

I just had a thought (which is unusual) and I may be being pernickety but somewhere in the paperwork about the new regs it was mentioned that everything that travels through the air is governed by the Air Nav Order even down to paper aeroplanes. Well what about regulating golf balls, cricket balls, javelins, archery arrows etc ?? I'm sure some of these could be more dangerous than a paper aeroplanes. ;)
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » May 10th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Everything that flies is the sojourn of the CAA, even down to the humble flying dart, things that plummet through the air, not so much so, This is why the bmfa, for so long, fought to keep flying toys off toy shop shelves, this was, at some point ruled against, and the floodgates opened,

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » May 10th, 2019, 1:09 pm

David Baker

Postby David Baker » May 10th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Rob
This whole paragraph really sums up the difference between a drone and a model aircraft...
Particularly the last bit about the skill and training required for each...

Recent technological advances mean that a much greater variety of small unmanned aircraft are now available. These vary from the ready-to-fly multi-rotor types that represent the popular conception of a ‘drone’, through to the traditional kit or plans-built model aeroplane or helicopter. A typical multi-rotor drone is heavily gyro-stabilised and can use GPS for guidance in addition to acting on Radio Frequency (RF) commands from the pilot. The traditional model aircraft usually uses only an RF signal for commands from the pilot, requires much greater pilot training and skill, and is flown only at specific recreational sites away from persons and property.

David

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » May 30th, 2019, 11:40 am

Representatives of the UK Model Flying Associations met with the CAA yesterday afternoon (29th May 2019).

The meeting was constructive, but without any real breakthrough to report at this stage.

The CAA were only able to discuss potential options within the restrictive policy framework dictated by the DfT. One such option is the possibility of the Associations registering as Operators, which would save members paying the £16.50 registration fee, but all members flying any model over 250g would still be required to take a free CAA theory test every 3 years. There is however further exploratory work to do on this option before it could be confirmed as a viable way forward and it would still be far from satisfactory.

Model Flying is now within the CAA’s Small Unmanned Aircraft Unit rather than their General Aviation Unit and there was an undertaking to meet on a quarterly basis, rather than on the current annual basis. The Associations welcome this development, especially at the present time.

There remains a great deal of detail to resolve before the 2018 ANO changes come into effect at the end of November this year and this issue is compounded by the six months lost due to the DfT/CAA ‘stone walling’ us since November 2018. It is regrettable that it has taken the direct action of our members to force the resumption of meaningful dialogue.

We would like to thank all those members who have supported our campaign so far, the CAA has received approximately 6000 responses from model association members. If you have not yet responded to the consultation, please do so before it closes next week. Full details of the consultation and how to respond can be found here: https://consultations.caa.co.uk/finance/drone-registration/

A considerable number of members have expressed their dissatisfaction at the ‘standard’ response they have received from the CAA which in many cases does little or nothing to address their specific concerns or indicate that they have even been read. We would encourage any member dissatisfied with the response they have received to raise a formal complaint through the CAA’s complaints process (rather than as a personal communication to the CEO), details of which you can find here:https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/Make-a-report-or-complaint/How-to-make-a-complaint-about-the-CAA/.

Similarly, a significant number of members have also expressed their dissatisfaction with the ‘standard’ response they have received from the DfT and in this instance we would encourage members to re-submit their concerns with a complaint that they have not been adequately addressed. Details of how to submit a complaint to the DfT can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport/about/complaints-procedure#making-a-complaint-to-the-department-for-transport.

We will be meeting with the Minister next week, but for now our 'Call to Action' remains very much in place.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 30th, 2019, 2:48 pm

so- no more meeting for three months? Not a good outcome. It must be like banging your heads against a wall. Thank you to all involved in this battle. :cry:

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » June 1st, 2019, 1:40 pm

No, it's not quite that bad, we're looking at meeting again sooner than that, especially as the implementation phase is now and over the summer.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » June 1st, 2019, 2:35 pm

Can I enquire whether the BMFA or LMA have been asked for input in to this 'online test'?

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » June 1st, 2019, 2:54 pm

You most certainly can.

We (model flying associations) have offered and been asked to be involved in the definition of the registration & testing system to make it 'make sense' for modellers.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » June 1st, 2019, 3:17 pm

Glad to hear. I can just imagine what the CAA office junior would make up. At least that will be something we could actually make use of.

Return to “The Old Forum Lounge”