Which battery type

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Tony Collins 1073

Which battery type

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » May 27th, 2019, 11:11 am

I am building a nice little foamy biplane. I have used lipo's before but not Li-Ion and I am not sure what to use.
I have read so many conflicting reports as to the safety and performance of these batteries that I have decided to
ask at the most reliable place that I know. LMA forum. Thanks in advance.
Tony.

Steve Perry

Re: Which battery type

Postby Steve Perry » May 28th, 2019, 12:33 am

Lion does not have the current capability that Lipo's do, I suggest watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB8fas6zBSE for a comparison between them.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 28th, 2019, 7:40 am

Safety of lipos is simple, Mike. Charge them (balance every time) outside on a BBQ or similar so nothing can hurt if it decided to go up, and keep them in a tin box in the garage or shed. I only have 3s for foamies but have never had a problem in five years of using them.

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » May 28th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Thanks for that lads. I once saw a model sitting all by itself suddenly go up in flames. This was at Baldock North London club and some on here may remember it.
My model is the Ultrafly Outrage which is from way back although the kit is untouched.
It is a 3D model , not that I am going to be able to do that It is a high performing bipe which is supposed to come out at about
11 ounces. My big consideration is to use as light a power supply as possible I am well into electronics but am a dumbo where electric flight is concerned so any advice on what battery and type to use would be gratefully received. Don't know whether to use two or 3 cell.
I have a 30A BEC, and the motor is a GOOLRC 2212 1000kv. Is that OTT?
thanks in advance.

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » May 28th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Thanks for that lads. I once saw a model sitting all by itself suddenly go up in flames. This was at Baldock North London club and some on here may remember it.
My model is the Ultrafly Outrage which is from way back although the kit is untouched.
It is a 3D model , not that I am going to be able to do that It is a high performing bipe which is supposed to come out at
about 11 ounces. My big consideration is to use as light a power supply as possible I am well into electronics but am a dumbo where electric flight is concerned so any advice on what battery and type to use would be gratefully received. Don't know whether to use two or 3 cell.
I have a 30A BEC, and the motor is a GOOLRC 2212 1000kv. Is that OTT?
Thanks in advance.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » May 28th, 2019, 3:45 pm

I watched a nmh battery go up in Germany. It was fully charged, and the heat from the sun (it was bloomin hot) set it off. We saved the model with some singed fingers. So it can happen to any battery!

Nigel Cox

Postby Nigel Cox » May 28th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Have a look at https://www.4-max.co.uk/recommended-setups.htm there might be something similar to your kit to give you an idea of what motor to use

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » May 28th, 2019, 5:45 pm

As for 2 or 3 cells, that depends on the prop size you want to use, 2 cells for bigger props, 3 cells for smaller ones. That might seem backwards as you may be thinking that you would use a bigger battery to swing a bigger prop, the reason for small battery - big prop is the current involved and to reduce it.
One of the important bits of info about brushless motors is the number of turns that they are wound with, more turns = bigger prop, less current and lower rpm, less turns = smaller prop, more current and higher rpm.
I am guessing that your motor is 13 turns, so 8 x 4 or 9 x 5 on 3 cells or 10 x 5 on 2 cells.

For battery / prop size http://www.flybrushless.com ( no login required) Find a Prop & Find a Motor from the menu bar.

Steve Perry

Postby Steve Perry » May 28th, 2019, 5:57 pm

On the subject of batterys catching fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBg4ximDrsk

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » May 28th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Thanks to you all. Very interesting. Looks like I'm going to have to get the old grey cells working. [painful at my age] :lol:
Tony.

Return to “Technical Help required”