Cosford 2019 Review

stuart knowles 1611

Cosford 2019 Review

Postby stuart knowles 1611 » July 6th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Just got back from the Saturday event. Rain interrupted play but otherwise, I had a good day. I thought the flying good, enjoyed the multi aircraft slots with absolute flocks of WW1 1/3 scalers, WW2 Bombers and Fighters. A scaled down jet presence, intentional or not I do not know but for me some jets rather lack character and I thought overall, better for it.
Good and varied trade presence.

I have seen the Reds Duo several times but Gents, I doff my cap to your undoubted skills and showmanship. Great flying, well planned and choreographed with some clever touches. Your afternoon slot was my 'Star of the Show'

Keith Mitchell

Re: Cosford 2019 Review

Postby Keith Mitchell » July 8th, 2019, 9:05 am

My personal thanks to the Officers, Committee and all helpers in putting on an excellent Cosford - in my view, one of the best in years...

I did have some reservations about the the second flight line and potential ‘interactions’ but these proved groundless and it all seemed to work very well and certainly enhanced the event.

Well done All,
Keith

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » July 8th, 2019, 2:18 pm

To Dave Johnson and the team, my compliments for such a superb event, best show by far!
Cary

Jason Webb

Postby Jason Webb » July 8th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Overall a great event & hats off to all the organisers/participants.

The 2nd flight line needs more finessing.

I walked 14 miles over the weekend, much of it back and forth between the 2 flight lines which certainly took some of the enjoyment away, especially in the heat of Sunday - more thought needs to be give how pilots and equipment get between the two flight lines.

The lack of any spectators or commentator at the 2nd flight line made it feel like just flying at a club although one with an expensive helicopter parked on its edge.

The big hit for me was seeing the kids really enjoying the buddy box flying and all the instructors did a fantastic job - I think more could be made of this element especially with the need to get more young talent into the hobby.

The 3D flying looked to be good too but it all seemed rather peripheral to the main event.
"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?"
Ronald Reagan

Andy Ellison

Postby Andy Ellison » July 8th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Re the 2nd line - from a pilots point of view.
My son Dani flies with Team Renegade and AZ Aerosports and i manned the line all weekend apart from the rain breaks and flew my own RV4 a good number of times.
My relevant key notes of interest.

The interface between models on the two lines turned out very easy to manage. When the Constellation, V bomber pair, Reds duo and Fokker flew, we landed. These were the only aircraft which got near to us and this was manageable. Only the Fokker really encroached on one circuit which reached past our pilot box and then only once.

The helicopter in/out was easily manageable.

The PA system gave us problems all weekend. So many in fact that Andy our commentator just gave up on Saturday. Sunday was better marginally with relocated aerials but far from acceptable. Throw it away lads. Its rubbish and let the event down.

Ian Russell is great as our line official - send him again but dont leave him stranded without relief like you did on Saturday. Its not fair.

Our crowd was at times quite large and there was always applause after a display flight. It was more of a passing trade however as the car park went so far back. Notably people did complain to us about how far they had to walk to get in to the main part of the show but accepted that that wasnt our fault.

Thanks for the refreshments. Unexpected but welcome.

We only really had 2 sets of grumbles presented seriously all weekend and both were from LMA pilots flying the early and late slots before and after the aerobatics. The first was that they didnt like being shunted out of the 'main' show. I did tell them that this line was the main show but the irony was lost....... The other grumble was again from them about the type of music we were playing for the (younger) boys to fly Freestyle Aerobatics to. We experimented afterwards with a bit of Dame Vera Lynn but her stuff is a bit slow for hi-energy 3D pop tops, rifle rolls, blenders and no names at full throttle. My explanation that what they were witnessing was the considerable age-gap at play was again lost with the irony....

The last point id like to make (well 2 points really) are that there was a slight reprimand at saturday briefing for the 2nd line appearing to fly over the helicopter pad on Friday evening. We took it, but then spent the next 2 days watching some models clearly flying over and beyond the museum!
My last point (and i accept i could be wrong here because i can find no written evidence of it - only hearsay) is that i was told the LMA still has a minimum age limit for membership - albeit down now to 16 from 21. A good move considering most of the lads that flew aerobatics on line 2 are 17, 18, 19, 20. But why now 16? Why not none at all? None of the kids that really enjoyed flying off the buddy boxes could then go on to join up! There are some awesome pilots on the show circuit who are under 16. Seems a bit silly to me. Again, apologies if its rubbish - just ignore....

All in all a superb first effort at the 2 line thing. It definately has legs. Tweak a few bits, bring the trade a bit closer and only allow pilots to fly models on one line or the other (its a 1/4 mile between pilot boxes) and the cub/havoc/mass aeros slots on the main line nicked most of our pilots and spotters as well as giving us the hassle of having to lug all the gear down and back.
I'm sure Azza has other suggestions in time but all in all we can make this work.
It was....A great weekend.
Thanks for the insight and the opportunity.

Andy Ellison
Team Renegade.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » July 8th, 2019, 6:33 pm

I don’t know if it was noticed, but 10 people came and ran their asses off running a swap meet, please tell me it was appreciated, we’ve been requested to do Elvington, be nice to have some feedback,

David Baker

Postby David Baker » July 8th, 2019, 7:16 pm

I spent a lot of my time on the second flight line on both days, I flew my Nieuport 11 in the 1/4 scale WW1 slots and I was the pilot and instructor of the “Arising Star” trainer for the kids.
I think it was a bold decision by the committee to trial the second flight line at the LMA’s premier event at Cosford.
Dave Johnson and a couple of committee members came to see me at my caravan on Saturday evening to ask how it went and if there was anything they could do to improve things for the Sunday... I said it had gone well considering it was our first ever day of doing it, told them how well we had worked together with the aerobatic teams, and the niggles about some line 1 models over flying us, the poor PA system, and the lack of LMA marshals and a few other bits and bobs.
Most of the problems raised were addressed for Sunday as a result.. this was a real effort by the committee to improve things at very short notice and for this I thank them for their prompt efforts.
A further chat with them on Sunday evening reassured me that they will be making further changes to the slot structure and content for the next event to address some of the other concerns.
I really enjoyed the weekend, the challenge of fast tracking the children onto the buddy lead trainer and their faces going from sheer terror to beaming smiles afterwards made it all worth the effort.... I must thank my helper Christine for all her help pitting the trainer... it was manic on the Sunday!
So for me
A big thanks to everyone who was involved, let’s just keep improving it
Cheers
Dave Baker

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 9th, 2019, 7:08 am

Well. I didnt make it this year, but as far as I can see, this is all a massive improvement. The 2nd line seems to have been a hit, and with tweaks as per the posts here, it will improve the whole Cosford experience, what with the swapmeet, the younger guys showing their incredible skills offset by the big stuff on the 'main' line. As for the comments about younger members, well, why not? A junior membership hurts no one, and keeps us in line with the BMFA. Even if the DfT says under 18s cant own a model.

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » July 9th, 2019, 9:13 am

And pray tell , what the hell do the DfT know about model flying or owning a model under the age of 16 especially as they are trying to lump us in with the Drone owners. Bunch of jobsworths.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 9th, 2019, 9:24 am

When have the DfT ever said that anyone of any age can't own a model plane?
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 9th, 2019, 9:59 am

The CAA’s development plan for the Drone Registration Scheme sets the
minimum age of registering for operators as 18. This is on the basis that:
 The Government’s consultation response published in January 2019
highlighted that it supports the introduction of a minimum age of 18 for
operators and no minimum age for remote pilots.

So an under 18 can fly, but not own, a drone. (or model aircraft)

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » July 9th, 2019, 10:41 am

This is nothing to do with Cosford, but...

Operating a small unmanned aircraft (SUA) has nothing whatsoever to do with owning it. The operator, remote pilot and the owner can be 3 entirely separate people, or the owner / operator can be companies.

Provided an operator of over 18 is involved, anyone of any age can be the owner & remote pilot of a SUA at the moment. (and by at the moment I mean end of November 2019. I know it gets a bit more complicated in June 2020 when the EASA rules come into force, but for members of model associations with an article 16 permission, it should be basically the same)
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

BRIAN RAWCLIFFE

Postby BRIAN RAWCLIFFE » July 9th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Alan Cantwell 1131 wrote:I don’t know if it was noticed, but 10 people came and ran their asses off running a swap meet, please tell me it was appreciated, we’ve been requested to do Elvington, be nice to have some feedback,

Allan, you put on a first class swap meet, the item I had for sale went for the asking price. Many thanks to you and your team for the many hours of hard work you must have put in. See you at Elvington...Brian.

Andy Ellison

Postby Andy Ellison » July 9th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Alan. I know you dont get south to that show that claims it has the UK's biggest Swapmeet, but rest assured your swapmeet at Cosford is bigger than that one. You can work out yourself how much bigger again that makes Westons!
Thanks for helping me shift myfriends gear.
Long may the Cosford swapmeet continue!

Andy.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » July 9th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Many thanks gentlemen, I know it’s only a stand selling secondhand stuff for members, but that belays the huge amount of work entailed, for a first try at an LMA show, outside the magnificent Weston park show, we are more than pleased, so much so, that I can confirm it will take place at Elvington, how usefull is the swapmeet? Remember Daves Eastbourne Monoplane he has had for sale for ages? Took me 10 minutes, so, dig around, we all have too much gear. Make some room, make some Money!

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 10th, 2019, 10:09 am

Alan, got some stuff for Elvington, getting rid of all my petrol engine planes so I hope I can fit them in the car. Great job at Cosford by the way.
LMA Journal Editor :geek:
You can contact me at: lma.journal.newsdesk@gmail.com or Dave.Parry07 on Image

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » July 10th, 2019, 10:16 am

Dave Parry wrote:Alan, got some stuff for Elvington, getting rid of all my petrol engine planes so I hope I can fit them in the car. Great job at Cosford by the way.

get them on here first, Dave!

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » July 10th, 2019, 11:31 am

Dave Parry wrote:Alan, got some stuff for Elvington, getting rid of all my petrol engine planes so I hope I can fit them in the car. Great job at Cosford by the way.

Dave, what you got!!
Haha
Cary

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » July 10th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Cheers Dave, but why are you selling? And look, the vultures are circling, :D

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » July 11th, 2019, 10:12 am

I don't think I have anything you lot would want :lol: :lol: I am moving to a smaller house so downsizing my fleet, getting rid of my few petrol planes and going electric as they are easier to store and transport, I also get the same pleasure out of them with less hassle.
LMA Journal Editor :geek:
You can contact me at: lma.journal.newsdesk@gmail.com or Dave.Parry07 on Image

Return to “LMA Events 2019”