Convair YF2Y-1 Sea Dart

Why not share your information on your latest creation
Alex Jones

Re: Convair YF2Y-1 Sea Dart

Postby Alex Jones » May 15th, 2019, 9:13 am

Sorry for the lack of updates... we've been so busy trying to get it finished my internet time is limited. I have lots of photos though so I'll try and get them up.

I'm in need of a little help... I designed the rudder to have a 2mm piano wire hinge that can be removed from the bottom of the stabiliser if required. I had anticipated having a plastic sleeve around this but for the life of me I cannot find a sleeve that fits. Does anyone know where I can get wire and sleeve from. Ive tried so many combinations and nothing seems to fit.

I'm probably looking in the wrong place. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, Alex

Tony Collins 1073

Postby Tony Collins 1073 » May 15th, 2019, 9:52 am

Hi Alex. There are loads of adds on ebay for different types and sizes of sleeving/tubing.
Most to suit you are 3mm ID so can you go to a 3mm rod?
If not I have found one with 2mm ID and here is the link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2mm-ID-4mm-T ... Sw7fBbCaa3

Of course a 2mm O/D rod in a 2mm I/D tube could be a bit of a firm fit unless the rod can be cleaned up a bit.
Worth a try. Good luck
Tony.

Alex Jones

Postby Alex Jones » May 15th, 2019, 10:17 am

Thanks Tony,

The fit is the main issue... I wish I had sourced this before I did the design! Typically its the only part I didn't.

Cheers, Alex

Steve Rickett 2333

Postby Steve Rickett 2333 » May 15th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Hi Alex,

I have often used the outer from this snake set and 1.9mm carbon rod for my hinges (the Comet and Boston were done this way).

https://www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Plastic-Control-Rod-Set-1.0m-Pk2-F_RCA117.html#SID=146

Plastic Control Rod Set 1mtr Pk2

What i found is that may shops sell ‘2mm’ piano wire but actually it’s 12Awg. Not much in it, but enough to stop a nice telescopic fit.

All the best

Steve

Alex Jones

Postby Alex Jones » May 15th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Thanks Steve,

I've ordered a set to try... where do you get 1.9mm carbon from? I can only find 1.5 and 2mm. or are you just turning it down slightly?

Many thanks for the help guys.

Cheers

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » May 15th, 2019, 5:28 pm

We deal with a carbon firm, Tricast, of rochdale, if you let me know how long a piece you want, and what sort of strength you need, I can put you in touch, they can grind to any size I think,

Alex Jones

Postby Alex Jones » May 16th, 2019, 6:41 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks, I'll ping them an email... I'll also see if they have some tube that will fit my 2mm steel wire.

Cheers

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » May 16th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Mention my name, Alan, at Dawson Prescion, who machines there F1 steering columns,

Alex Jones

Postby Alex Jones » May 17th, 2019, 6:25 am

Thanks Alan... will do.

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » May 17th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this is appropriate to your needs, but the various sizes of K&S metals tubes will fit nicely one inside another with every increase in size. Of course they're mostly Imperial, although I believe they may have some metric sizes now. So, if you draw a blank with metric permutations, you might find an Imperial one suffices?

Phil Clark

Postby Phil Clark » May 18th, 2019, 10:09 am

K&S I'm sure used to make brass tube in SWG sizes to match regular piano wire.

Phil

Alex Jones

Postby Alex Jones » May 18th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I received the push rod kits Steve suggested today and they fit my 2mm piano wire perfectly.

Phew... I was starting to get worried as all the holes had been machined etc...

Thanks

Dave Kellett

Postby Dave Kellett » July 7th, 2019, 9:26 am

Hi Alex
You really are keeping us all in suspenders lol about how this magnificent project is progressing.
So please let us know the latest.We, well I am at least, waiting with bated breath

Best regards

Dave

Alex Jones

Postby Alex Jones » July 10th, 2019, 6:31 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the post... I really need to update all the threads! I've been so busy I have struggled to find the time.

Currently the SeaDart is at Fighteraces being prepped for paint. They are in the process of fitting the hatches filling seams and doing general remedial work before paint. Once painted I'll do the final equipment installations and we should be onto testing.

I'll start posting progress again over the next few months. :)

Cheers, Alex

Alex Jones

Postby Alex Jones » July 23rd, 2019, 2:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

It’s good to be finally updating these threads on the SeaDart… and this time I will be posting until completion. I aim to update the thread every few days so keep an eye out if you are interested in the models progress.

The majority of photos I will be posting are just from my phone so do excuse the photography… These were designed for quick client progress shots during the build so he could catch anything he was unhappy about before anything becomes too difficult to rectify.

My last build post was detailing the cockpit assembly so this seems a good place to pick up our progress.

The next part of the cockpit is the seat. This was designed in CAD and the whole bucket element 3D printed. I wouldn’t ordinarily recommend SLS nylon prints for scale parts as the finish isn’t suitable and can’t easily be made good. However for the seat where much of it isn’t seen and some of the areas with visible build lines are capped with lithoplate it can work.

The pictures don’t really do the finish any favours as in reality everything is much softer on the eye. The seat was painted in several shades of grey and weathered with dry pigment. You can’t use a wash on these parts as you just highlight the surface finish, so varying dry paint pigment colours are used to create a similar effect.

The seat painted in the base colour.

ImageIMG_0305 by Alex Jones, on Flickr

Layers of great and pigment being added.

ImageIMG_0321 by Alex Jones, on Flickr

The seat in place with the custom parachute. We aren't happy with the harness buckles the next post will focus on the design and build of these. :)

ImageIMG_0324 by Alex Jones, on Flickr

Dave Kellett

Postby Dave Kellett » July 24th, 2019, 8:56 am

Hi Alex
This project is absolutely stupendous, and a fantastic credit to you and your team.
I know that the Sea Dart was designed and built to fly, but has it now reached the bum twitching cycle clips stage, where it will be confined to be displayed as a museum piece?
Either way it just goes to show what is the real face of the 'Best of British'

Thanks for keeping us informed and I look forward to the next posts.

Dave

Alex Jones

Postby Alex Jones » July 24th, 2019, 11:46 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks... :) I'm glad people are enjoying following along with the project.

The model hasn't flown or even been tested in the water yet but it is being painted as I type. I'd be happy for it go straight to a museum! :D but as you say it was built to fly and that is still our intention. :) Fighteraces are doing all the pre paint prep work at the moment. Our plan is to get this thread caught up with the build and then it will be running in real time. The thread will be up with current progress before we test. I'm updating every few days as it takes some time each day to prepare the photos, posts and upload everything etc... so little and often while I continue with our other projects.

Changing the subject a little...

Would there be any interest in people visiting us during the water-based testing here in the UK? (no flying) It will be the hydrodynamic tests, fast, slow, turning, deplaning water taxi tests etc... We could do a talk on the aircraft and people could have a good look around the model and see some of our testing. Just an idea but I get a lot of emails asking for visits so this might be of interest to some. I don't believe this will be going to any shows and obviously couldn't fly at most anyhow so the chances of seeing the model are limited. If anyone is interested please send an email or PM me here on the forum with your name and email and I'll get back to you.
Onto the harness…

We want the harness to be scale for several reasons. We need to remove the pilot so why not have a working prototypical harness. There are three camera angles in the cockpit for, one of these is looking up at the pilot with the instrument panel removed so the harness is very visible at this angle. With the pilot strapped in correctly the body movement is more realistic as he is constrained in the correct way. This should all add to realism

The harness design was done by Ralf at http://www.rd-manufaktur.de and manufactured at Horbach Technik in Germany. The parts are 3D printed then cast. Its lockable using super elastic NiTi 0.012mm wire.

Ralf has done an excellent job with the harness positively locking well and also being very strong so handling isn’t a problem.

This is one of our research shots showing some of the SeaDart harness.

ImageSeaDart Harness by Alex Jones, on Flickr

Ralfs initial deign work.

ImageHarness Design http://www.rd-manufaktur.de by Alex Jones, on Flickr

The final product installed into the seat with the custom made parachute on the seat.

ImageIMG_1599 by Alex Jones, on Flickr

A short video showing the harness working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E01Lu9ptNj0&list=PL2xOSRvupovQGPXq9etwSY777nc7s3eJr&index=10&t=0s

Dave Kellett

Postby Dave Kellett » July 24th, 2019, 12:28 pm

PM sent

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » July 24th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Absolutely cracking work on the harnesses and seat, I love the wear and tear on the floor pan. it's actually hard to tell one is looking at a model. I fully agree about the SLS nylon being tricky as regards layer-lines, especially where compound curves occur, I've found multiple applications of primer and very very gently sanding back improve matters to a point, but it's very laborious. It's interesting that you used 3d printing to make a mould plug for casting, as I've often had to contend with fine parts such as clips and buckles being physically very weak. Really nice work.

Alex Jones

Postby Alex Jones » July 27th, 2019, 6:19 am

Thanks Timothy.

On with the ejection seat… The headrest is a mix of SLA resin prints and Nylon SLS. The straight tubes are plastic except the centre ejector rail with is Carbon. The plastic tubes contain the antenna for the pilots head movement which is controlled from a separate transmitter. I have more detail to add but I will do the last little bits when fitting it to the airframe. I still need to work on the left and right panels, I’m just waiting for some water jet cut parts to arrive before I start.

ImageSeaDart Ejection Seat by Alex Jones, on Flickr

ImageSeaDart Cockpit by Alex Jones, on Flickr

Next on the list is to install the camera which is interchangeable with the pilots head. Hopefully this will give a decent pilots eye view of proceedings, the camera will be able to move just like the head.

Return to “Your New Projects”