An Update on the UK Regulations for Model Flyers

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
Timothy Huff

Re: An Update on the UK Regulations for Model Flyers

Postby Timothy Huff » September 6th, 2019, 2:32 pm

So long as the regulations stick to the word "drone" rather than "unmanned craft", there's no reason to suppose the regulations so worded apply to us. A "conspicuity device" is a bit odd, transponders are really too heavy to for to most drones, not to mention very power hungry, so unless they're talking about something reflective to primary radar (such as you sometimes see on yachts) it's hard to see what they have in mind there. All in all it's a bit half-arsed.

chris-berry

Postby chris-berry » September 6th, 2019, 2:45 pm

It’s been written by uninformed people with no idea of reality.
They clearly aren’t aware of ongoing work by the CAA on EC, which is far from reality at the moment.
MPs who have no clue trying to make laws.

chris-berry

Postby chris-berry » September 6th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Peter Bone MP who has proposed the bill seems like a thoroughly unpleasant character. Assuming the write up on Wikipedia is correct, he was opposed to things like the minimum wage, think the NHS is Stalinist and wanted to rename the August Bank Holiday Margaret Thatcher day.
Worth a chuckle if you have a minute. I suspect he gets on well with Jacob Rees Mogg.

Vincent Raia

Postby Vincent Raia » September 7th, 2019, 9:13 am

What a sad state of affairs our innocent hobby has succumbed to, by bored uninformed officials, who've got nothing better to do, and just want to ruin the innocent fun normal people are enjoying, we have the BMFA, LMA, CAA, to look after and regulate our hobby, so why do these jumped up officials need to poke their uninformed noses in and try to ruin an peoples innocent past time? next thing is they'll be saying that anyone owning a train set must have electronically qualifications, and has passed all the safety regulations to operate one, along with the wearing of a hard hat and safety clothing and goggles!!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » September 12th, 2019, 7:10 am

A small crack in the DfTs defences has been revealed on the BMFA website. Heres a snippet- We would therefore encourage members not to rush into registering or taking the test when the DRES is rolled out in the next few weeks, until we have concluded our current round of discussions with the CAA and DfT and issued further guidance to members. For the time being, we would suggest that it remains ‘business as usual’.

Both the CAA and DfT have given a commitment to ‘re-set’ their relationships with the model flying community and work with us in close collaboration from this point forward, a very positive development which we greatly appreciate. It’s perhaps preferable to being inundated with correspondence from our magnificent members and their MP’s! Thanks again to all those members who have supported our relentless campaign so far.

Watch this space!

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » September 12th, 2019, 8:04 am

Indeed, it is promising progress.

I'll say more when something concrete can be said beyond what is currently on the front page of the BMFA website.

Thanks to all for their continued support.
LMA Secretary - I've got a reasonable idea where you live!

David Baker

Postby David Baker » September 12th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Hi Rob
Just received an email from the Bmfa telling members not to rush into registering or taking the test until further notification, as discussions with CAA etc. Are ongoing to improve matters..

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » September 12th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Sounds like someone sensible is taking the reigns, I hope the LMA is involved, getting a bit tired ofjust the bmfa getting slaps on the back,

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » September 12th, 2019, 3:53 pm

yes the LMA is involved, I'll be sending updated info to everyone when it's more concrete.

Luckily I'm not in this for the back slapping...or the pay!

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » September 12th, 2019, 10:51 pm

I don’t want your back slapped, I want the associations back slapped, everyone out there thinks it’s just the bmfa, as for payment, would a pack of custard creams do?

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » September 13th, 2019, 6:56 am

Alan- I assumed everyone realised that its not just the BMFA, although they have the biggest clout. The LMA and the other associations are involved on our behalf, and its all credit to (all of them) them that we have even a chink in the armour of this pointless legislation.

Alan Cantwell 1131

Postby Alan Cantwell 1131 » September 13th, 2019, 12:24 pm

I don’t believe that for one moment,

Timothy Huff

Postby Timothy Huff » September 13th, 2019, 8:26 pm

I think the simple reality is that there's so much other, more pressing, legislation backed-up in Parliament these days, that quite a few bills will be greatly trimmed or done away with altogether until things get back to normal in the coming months. In the face of considerable opposition and lack of Parliamentary time, it's possibly unsurprising this has been kicked into the long-grass. Perhaps now some common-sense can prevail, and more considered and practical measures taken.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » September 13th, 2019, 8:40 pm

The registration and competency testing legislation has been in place since summer 2018 with a coming into force date of November 2019.

Anyone wanting to slap the back of the LMA, do please carry on. I don't do gluten these days, so bisquits aren't much use I'm afraid.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » September 14th, 2019, 7:21 am

I believe the private members bill by some moron that was insisting on all models having transponders fitted has fallen foul of the closing of parliament. Shame. The registration bit seemed to slip in to law unnoticed by most of us, until the £16.50 was mentioned. Yes, its a miniscule amount in the model flyers budget, you pay more for a servo, but as the figures do not add up, and the scheme has to be self financing, thats not the final figure. But the big question is, where is the advantage to anyone, public or government, in this? Only law-abiding folk will register, so it is useless at controlling the masses of illegal fliers who do it BECAUSE it is illegal, like the CB radio craze years ago.

David Baker

Postby David Baker » September 14th, 2019, 8:23 am

Bob
As they say.... the scheme has to be self funding to the tune of £2.8million, a truly ridiculous amount of money!
It’s a forgone conclusion that the illegal drone pilots will not register and pay..
Then if us legal flyers don’t register and pay?
The scheme cannot fund itself so it will have to be scrapped!

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » September 14th, 2019, 9:05 am

It certainly wont prevent things like todays drone attacks on oil facilities in Saudi.

Rob Buckley

Postby Rob Buckley » September 30th, 2019, 8:17 pm

The government / CAA operator registration and pilot competency testing (DRES) system that I’m sure you’ve all been waiting excitedly for was due to go live on Tuesday 1 October, but now won’t. This is in part due to the response received from the model flying community, so thanks to everyone who contacted the DfT, CAA, their MP and others, and thanks for your continued support.

When the DRES system will all come to life, and what we as model association members will need to do and by when is not yet finally confirmed. Rest assured that I’ll update you all with the details as soon as everything is defined and agreed.

So please don’t register or take the test yet should the system become live in the meantime.

steven patey

Postby steven patey » October 3rd, 2019, 4:09 pm

Bob Thompson1894 wrote:It certainly wont prevent things like todays drone attacks on oil facilities in Saudi.

No, but at least they will be able to operate them in a safe manner. :D

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » October 4th, 2019, 3:17 pm

"So please don’t register or take the test yet should the system become live in the meantime."
And I was so keen to do it.....

Return to “General Discussion Topics”