Evolution 260cc radial problems.

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
barry banks

Evolution 260cc radial problems.

Postby barry banks » September 15th, 2019, 8:24 am

Hi chaps can I get a bit of advice of were to go from here. I bought a Evolution 260cc radial engine two years ago from a well known UK model shop to go in my 1/3 scale Stearman but due to a few health issues it sat in my bedroom for over a year and I have just this year finished the aircraft.so was able to get the engine fitted and tested.
We had been running the engine with top quality fully synthetic oil at a ratio of 32/1 it was just coming up to 55 mins of run time when it seized. Only just got upto ¼ to ½ throttle so not over revved.
On inspection when we opened the engine up there was no shortage of lubrication, we found that one of the little ends had snapped in two letting the roller bearing fall into the engines causing lots of damaged, the big end on this rod did not show any signs of heat build up so this had not seized. Damaged caused.
1 snapped con rod.1 bent conrod, damaged piston, damaged cylinder. And other things .As horizon hobbies were the importer at that time and only give you a 12 months warranty it is of course out of the time. Will I be wasting my time trying getting any redress from either the shop or the importer?
If this is the case any ideas were to get spares from so we can rebuild it “Gutted”

Dave Collis 2296

Re: Evolution 260cc radial problems.

Postby Dave Collis 2296 » September 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Check with Adrian at CH Ignitions (in Florida)
He is now a UMS dealer (new design line of radials) and may be able to source parts from India for you.

Cheers,
Dave.

john glazbrook

Postby john glazbrook » September 15th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Hello harry sorry to see about your problems with your radial engine, I know someone that can help you with your engine, his name is MORRIS he owns MORRIS MINI MOTORS. his No is on his website www.morrisminimotors.co.uk I am sure he can help you, best of luck and I hope you get your engine sorted. best regards

john

Glenn Masters

Postby Glenn Masters » September 15th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Sorry to hear this Barry . . Heard it running at Winterton and it sounded so sweet . . . I have dealt with UMS in India directly and found them to be very helpful. My enquiry was with regards to a hydraulic conversion set to pneumatic retract set up, but I think they will be equally helpful regarding their radial spares . . ( i did fall foul of a customs charge for parts sent - unavoidable via DHL
Good luck

Cary Bailey

Postby Cary Bailey » September 17th, 2019, 7:08 am

john glazbrook wrote:Hello harry sorry to see about your problems with your radial engine, I know someone that can help you with your engine, his name is MORRIS he owns MORRIS MINI MOTORS. his No is on his website http://www.morrisminimotors.co.uk I am sure he can help you, best of luck and I hope you get your engine sorted. best regards

john

+1 from me. Morris & Rob at Morrisminimotors are exceptionally knowledgeable regarding UMS engines as they are the UK importers & service guys!
Cary

Return to “General Discussion Topics”