Seaplane Floats - kits, plans advice???

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
David Banks

Seaplane Floats - kits, plans advice???

Postby David Banks » June 23rd, 2010, 4:05 pm

I have a Glens Maule with a Zenoah 20 - having moved area I no longer have access to grass but I do have miles of loch side !!!! Rather than give up the hobby I am considering fitting floats - MacGregor advertise a set but they are out of stock and they have no plans to re-introduce them. Does anyone know of an alternative kit or know where I can get plans or further info on how to make a set?? The model weighs about 10 lbs and has plenty of power. Many thanks in advance.

Nick Reeves 3055

Re: Seaplane Floats - kits, plans advice???

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » June 23rd, 2010, 7:30 pm

my first thoughts would be to get in touch with alasdair sutherland, an avid float plane flyer and has designed and built many sets of floats. if you PM or email me i shall pass on his email address to you.

cheers

nick
Adreneline is a Natural substance, Enjoy it when you can!
Too many planks to count, & two helis all guided by Futaba

frederick barlow

Postby frederick barlow » June 24th, 2010, 9:53 pm

traplet do a set of plans (cant remember the number) which were designed for the jiant jabberwok i think they should do for the maule or if you have or access a hot wire cutter you could cut a set there are templates and size calculations on the net

Arthur Fielding

Postby Arthur Fielding » June 29th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Re floats.
Pegasus models in Norfork do a range of Balsa U.S.A float kits .
If you go for built up wooden floats or foam with a wood covering, be sure to at least glass cloth the bottoms for strength. but watch the weight. Also check the step on the floats relitive to the C G of the model.If it is in the wrong place the model will not take off from the water.
But as has all ready been said you could do no better than drop Alasdair Sutherland a line ( address in RC Model World )
Good luck
Arthur

Bob Johnstone

Postby Bob Johnstone » July 1st, 2010, 10:55 pm

http://www.gvmac.com/

Try the above link, Alisdair had a file on float design and build on it. Sorry, I have not checked recently.

Return to “Technical Help required”