GENESIS the LMA`s New Trainner

Why not share your information on your latest creation
PHIL ATHERTON 2400

GENESIS the LMA`s New Trainner

Postby PHIL ATHERTON 2400 » December 2nd, 2008, 2:17 pm

After seeing Andy Aitken Genesis do it`s test flights at the hand of Dave Johnson it was time for the second of the Committees Test kits in the fleet to be built, at the committee meeting at Gaydon Mike Eccles and Myself were asked if we would undertake the building of the other two kits the LMA had.

so on to the build, on arriving home at 9.30pm i unloaded the box from the van and into the living room ( nortern saying lounge to all the posh people). On opening the box you are confronted by a large one piece plan, i decided to build the fuzz first so gathered all the lazer cut sections from the box that were required.

As a kit goes the fuzz went together very quickly all parts fitting together nice and tight, so you can built the whole fuzz with out having to use a building board to jig it, as you can see from the pic i built it on the coffee table (good job her indoors was away in blackpool for the weekend).

After doing the test fit of all the fuzz parts it was time to glue it altogether this took me from start to finish about an hour using epoxy on the bulk head and undercarrige section and thin cyno on all other parts, as this was one of the early kit there were some wood parts to buy to finish off the fuzz, these were the 1/4 by 3/8 balsa stringers for use on the back section of the cockpit to the tail and the 1/64 liteply to cover the said section.

I found the fuzz very easy to build and straight forward with no complication (anyone who can read a plan without instruction should find it a doddle to put together).

So on to the wing section (report to follow when i`ve built them).
Attachments
02122008010.jpg
Side view of fuzz after glueing
02122008010.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 18901 times
02122008006 - Copy.jpg
Centre section
02122008006 - Copy.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 18897 times

Nick Reeves 3055

Re: GENESIS the LMA`s New Trainner

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » December 4th, 2008, 6:41 pm

hi phil,

i have also started on my Genesis build. so far though i have only got one fuz side made up as im trying to finish my latest greenley first

cheers

nick
Adreneline is a Natural substance, Enjoy it when you can!
Too many planks to count, & two helis all guided by Futaba

Nick Reeves 3055

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » January 13th, 2009, 9:45 pm

hey phil,

have you done anymore gluing on the genesis?? i have done a little bit more on mine this evening. i'm hoping to have it ready for the SAA Airshow in may

cheers

nick

PHIL ATHERTON 2400

Postby PHIL ATHERTON 2400 » January 14th, 2009, 12:01 am

hi nick,

i have done alot more gluing only have the ailrons to make and she ready for covering, i haven`t took any more pics yet waiting till all the balsa and ply work is finished.

it will be ready for the SAA weekend..............so maybe dave johnson and yourself can do a display together.... :?:

Nick Reeves 3055

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » January 14th, 2009, 7:45 pm

sounds like a nice idea to me. i just need to get mine moving along a bit quicker. have you come across anything in the build that might be of use to any other builders? i noticed that i need to intall the U/C T nuts before glueing in that plate. simple thing really but would have reall p***ed me off if i hadn't done it :D

what engine is going in this one phil?

cheers

nick

PHIL ATHERTON 2400

Postby PHIL ATHERTON 2400 » January 16th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Nick Reeves 3055 wrote:sounds like a nice idea to me. i just need to get mine moving along a bit quicker. have you come across anything in the build that might be of use to any other builders? i noticed that i need to intall the U/C T nuts before glueing in that plate. simple thing really but would have reall p***ed me off if i hadn't done it :D

what engine is going in this one phil?

cheers

nick

a 62 zenoah i think nick, or what ever DJ finds.........

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » January 16th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Phil--a 62 cc is going in the one you are doing--Mike Eccles is building one[nearly finished] and has fitted a 38cc to his--

Nick Reeves 3055

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » January 17th, 2009, 1:59 pm

jolly good!! mine is having a 62 also :) are you changing the structure at all to take the 62? i was planning on a bit of triangulation here and there at the front end. one of the thing i still need to do to my engine is get a new mount that stands the engine further off the firewall so that i can keep the carb bend on it.

hopfully i can get some more done on it tonight once the kids are in bed :D

cheers

nick

ps dave are you up for some multiple genesis flying (if mine is done) at the SAA show??

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » January 17th, 2009, 4:55 pm

Nick---oh yes--several more like Mike with the LMA tradestand have built a Genesis and he will also be there---all we need now is some good weather in May !!!!DAVE

PHIL ATHERTON 2400

Postby PHIL ATHERTON 2400 » January 20th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Nick Reeves 3055 wrote:jolly good!! mine is having a 62 also :) are you changing the structure at all to take the 62? i was planning on a bit of triangulation here and there at the front end. one of the thing i still need to do to my engine is get a new mount that stands the engine further off the firewall so that i can keep the carb bend on it.

hopfully i can get some more done on it tonight once the kids are in bed :D

cheers

nick

ps dave are you up for some multiple genesis flying (if mine is done) at the SAA show??

hi nick

just to answer your question on beefing up the firewall. yes i used 3/4 quadrent on the fuzz walls and the landing gear ply plate, cheers phil

Lynne Roberts

Postby Lynne Roberts » February 16th, 2009, 8:50 am

Mike Eccles flew his new Genesis over the weekend.
Attachments
Genesis.JPG
Genesis.JPG (82.33 KiB) Viewed 17071 times
Last edited by Lynne Roberts on February 19th, 2009, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » February 16th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Looks like bacon has gone up!

DAVE JOHNSON

Postby DAVE JOHNSON » February 17th, 2009, 9:03 am

For anyone in the middle of building a Genesis--Mike has asked me to post the following info-----he has built as per kit ,other than the Elevators and Ailerons.--Last year ,i flew Andy Aitkens around the shows,and although it flew lovely ,and smooth,the control surfaces i thought would be better larger,to give more control authority for some manouvres,so i suggested this to Mike,he has made the Elevators 3" and extended the ailerons by 3/8".When i flew this one of Mikes last weekend,i personally thought the difference was really noticable,well worth the modification.Mike has installed a 38 zenoah,and this proved to be more than adequate .The one that Phil is building on here ,will have a zen 62 ,and will be used for towing.With the 38,a small amount of lead was used to balance--but Andy had an old [Royal] Quadra 50 in and no lead needed.Mike has used futaba s3305 servos on all control surfaces.Hope this info is of help---the 3 of these will be on display at Wigan in a couple of weeks---DAVE

Dave Parry
Site Admin

Postby Dave Parry » February 20th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Okay, I have finally managed to find time to upload some video footage of Mike Eccles Genesis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7SLZeS ... annel_page

PHIL ATHERTON 2400

Postby PHIL ATHERTON 2400 » March 30th, 2009, 8:57 am

Just a quick update on the Genesis it is now finished and as had its first test flight yesterday. The wings are straight forward to build just as plan but i did make the ailrons a touch bigger by a 1/4 inch. the elevator was also incresed by 3/4 inch.
The power plant we used was a Zenoah 62, it flys the plane round the sky on just a couple of clicks above tickover, the full range of the throttle was used by Dave Johnson on the air frame to test it out. (and if i do say so myself it passed with flying colours).

JezHarris3065

Postby JezHarris3065 » March 30th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Hi - my own build is progressing well - You can view it here....

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,47801.0.html

Jez Harris - 3065.

Nick Reeves 3055

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » April 21st, 2009, 3:56 pm

i've progressed me genesis build a bit more to the point of adding the sheeting to the rear turtle deck. my question is should i use large sheets of 3/32 to do this or plank it??

cheers

nick

Lynne Roberts

Postby Lynne Roberts » April 27th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Nick Reeves 3055 wrote:i've progressed me genesis build a bit more to the point of adding the sheeting to the rear turtle deck. my question is should i use large sheets of 3/32 to do this or plank it??

cheers

nick

Hi Nick
Mike Eccles sheeted his Genesis with 3/32 sheet. Phil Atherton put spruce stringers on his. Both are OK.

Nick Reeves 3055

Postby Nick Reeves 3055 » August 28th, 2009, 8:44 pm

i've managed to get some time to start working on my genesis again. i am at the point of gluing on the firewallbut it suddenly dawned on my that with the tank in the location as shown on the plan the fuel/vent pipes will have to through the centre of the radial mount for my 62. so my question is how hav other routed the pipework. i dont really want to have to modify a very nice ali mount just to be able to get pipes through it.

thanks

nick

Lynne Roberts

Postby Lynne Roberts » September 2nd, 2009, 7:26 pm

Nick
Ignore plan. Install tank as far back as possible down the fuselage to give enough clearance for the wing to seat. The reason for this is because as you fly, the fuel empties and would alter the c of g were it placed forward . In this position, there is plenty of room to run piepwork around the mount.

Mike Eccles

Return to “Your New Projects”