What Paints to Use?

Any topic that is not suitable for the other topic items
JOHN THORNE

What Paints to Use?

Postby JOHN THORNE » September 7th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Hi All,

I have built an LMA Genesis and am ready to paint. I have looked at the KlassKote epoxy paints supplied by Fighteraces, and the Hobby Flight Advanced paints from kings Lynn. While these look to be good paints they seem a little expensive and lack nice bright colours.

I was wondering if you guys would share your ideals about which paints could be used for this model, and how and where to apply them? Would you recommend epoxy, enamel, or oil based paints, or use different types in different areas of the model?

I would appreciate your help.

Regards,
John

Phil Clark

Re: What Paints to Use?

Postby Phil Clark » September 7th, 2014, 9:12 pm

Plenty of 'bright' colours in the Klass Kote range John.......3-4 different yellows, red, blues, greens + orange, white, black etc........we don't just have the military colours.

The standard colour range can be seen here......

[url]http://www.fighteraces.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/kk_main.png?iframe=true&width=100%&height=100%[/url]

There are 'cheaper' paints around I will agree, but none perform like Klass Kote. There are few if any paints out there that once cured you can wipe then over with their own thinner with no effect.........do this with enamel or cellulose based paints & their own thinner with dissolve the surface. Klass Kote thinner WILL NOT dissolve cured Klass Kote. KK's ability to withstand petrol, glo, diesel & kerosene fuels is 2nd to none.

Another alternative is to use a cheaper single component paint (Halfords type aerosols for example) then apply a KK clear coat over the top........this can be done with either matt, satin or gloss to give you whatever level of finish you want.

Phil (Fighteraces)

JOHN THORNE

Postby JOHN THORNE » September 8th, 2014, 8:34 am

Hi Phil, thanks for the response. I have contacted you a few times but you never came back to me as promised. I have checked your website and the paints you do. What I am interested in at the moment is what other paints are out there which can be used. I have tested Halfords paints and am now looking for others. Once again thanks for the response.

Regards,
John

Phil Clark

Postby Phil Clark » September 8th, 2014, 11:10 am

JOHN THORNE wrote:Hi Phil, thanks for the response. I have contacted you a few times but you never came back to me as promised.

Really.......how have you been trying to contacted me?

Phil

JOHN THORNE

Postby JOHN THORNE » September 8th, 2014, 11:45 am

Hi Phil, I did contact you by phone twice and you were supposed to come back to me. Anyway, thanks for the response.
John

Dave Hayfield

Postby Dave Hayfield » September 18th, 2014, 10:37 pm

This may be a strange suggestion but on one of my models the actual colour I needed was found in B&Q in their Sandtex high gloss range. I used a small foam roller to apply two coats over a primer and the finish is excellent. Obviously waterproof but also totally fuelproof, as far as petrol goes anyway. Haven't subjected it to glow fuel. Fairly cheap and no heavier than any other finish.
Thanet Model Flying Club
LMA 520

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » September 19th, 2014, 9:11 am

Go to your local car body shop and get a ' basecoat ' in any colour you like, spray it on and then finish with a 2K clear. High gloss and totally proof against any fuel. Solly

Return to “General Discussion Topics”