miles hawk speed 6

Need technical help on some problem? Let us know and we will see what we can do
Arthur Fielding

miles hawk speed 6

Postby Arthur Fielding » November 8th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Hi
Has any one out there built and flown the 1/4 scale speed six from the Philip Kent plan, and if so did you cover it all with 1/64 ply ( national debt ) as per the plan? and how much lead did you need up front.
Thanks for your time
Arthur.

paul hughes

Re: miles hawk speed 6

Postby paul hughes » November 8th, 2015, 6:53 pm

I am quite sure Phil Clark and his Father built one and there is a built thread for it somewhere. And why is 1/64 ply so expensive?

Phil Clark

Postby Phil Clark » November 8th, 2015, 7:38 pm

My Dad's Speed 6 was a 10% enlargement of the Kent plan. He retained the ply skinning on the fuz but went with 1/8 balsa on the wings. The whole thing was then covered in SIG Koverall. Power was a DA50 and even at this, it needed (IIRC) a couple of lb's of nose weight.

Harry Harland built the prototype I think.......fully ply skinned, Laser 150 up front and again, a couple of lb's of nose weight

Phil

Stuart Solomon

Postby Stuart Solomon » November 11th, 2015, 10:22 am

1/64" ply is so expensive because it is hand laminated on 50" square plattens. Imagine the waste from each layer being only 0.13 mm thick, hence the price.

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 12th, 2015, 4:27 pm

Would it be cheaper to use proskin? Would be lighter as it would not need glassing...

Arthur Fielding

Postby Arthur Fielding » November 12th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Thank you all for your input.
I have never used proskin ,but will look into it. I have got the basic fuselage frame and tail unit built. I am using a closed loop system on the rudder and elevator via a short carbon push rod to a bell crank.
I have weighed up push rods and Bowden cable and my system is lighter,every bit helps. To be honest it is not a difficult model to build you just need to be weight conscious.
How ever if Mr Harland reads this I would appreciate knowing if the under carriage was sprung as the plan only shows a drawing with no detail, the olio legs are about as round as a biro pen ,which would make for a very small spring. Any info would be appreciated.

Peter Siggins

Postby Peter Siggins » November 13th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Hello Arthur,

I built the Phil Kent speed six a few years ago and was quite alarmed at the lead up front needed to balance it,I think mine took 3lbs.
I had a word with Harry to see what he had put in his,so it does take some balancing .With today's petrol engines it might be easier adding useful weight,I too used a laser which powered it well - all up weight if I remember rightly was around 23 lbs.
Builds into a nice model but needs undercarriage a bit stronger than the plan.

Pete

Arthur Fielding

Postby Arthur Fielding » November 13th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Hi Harry
Thank you for the offer of the build CD, but I am well into the build now, and there are many photos on the web. Any one who works with stainless steel has my instant admiration,as my dealings with the metal left me with burnt out drill bits and broken taps etc. I am toying with the idea of making a "girder fork "motor bike style under carriage unit. I have sent you my email address and would appreciate any thing undercarriage related.
Thanks again

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 13th, 2015, 6:45 pm

Harry Harland wrote:HI Arthur. If you send me a p.m. with your contact details, I can send you a cd with pictures of my prototype build, showing scale detail etc., I built my own scale sprung u/c from stainless steel tubing (not too difficult). I would advise against using pro.skin. A phone chat may be helpful with a choice of build materials etc.,

regards,

Harry.
Why not Proskin Harry? Had a problem with it?

Bob Thompson1894

Postby Bob Thompson1894 » November 14th, 2015, 9:31 am

I have not yet used it either Harry, but Alistair has just done a model with it and I am very impressed.

Return to “Technical Help required”